German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am concerned that my dogs nose might get infected. I dont know how she cut herself but two days ago she cut her nose.

I was hoping that her wound would heal but i dont know if it is healing.

What can I do.
Here are the pictures

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByGkh3KXsrkmU0ZNaDEtUS1tM2c&usp=sharing

If I dont have to I dont want to take her to the vet if i am able to heal it myself by maybe cleaning it from bacteria.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't think she would need to take a trip to the vet by the look of it I would just recommend giving it a little dab 3 or 4 times a day with some antiseptic cloth maybe only a little bit it will burn her nose otherwise as its stings a lot once it's kept clean from bacteria it should heal by itself my dog once got a similar cut like that before but it was on the top of her nose I just dabed it 3 times a day with antiseptic and it healed after about a week :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Doesn't look infected to me (at least from what I can make out from the pictures). Does look like a good owwie, though. Antiseptic would be a good move for safety. It COULD BECOME infected, though, knowing how nosey dogs can be. Might be best to keep an eye on where she is sticking her nose for the next 30 hours or so, while it forms a scab of some sort. Defintely don't take her swimming in a lake right now.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Its a pretty superficial scrape but infection is your concern now. There is an antibiotic ointment sold by the vet that will not harm her if she licks at it but I cannot recall the name of it. From the photos it doesn't appear infected and it almost looks as though its beginning to scab/heal. Check it several times a day. Keep her nose clean. If you can get a hold of that ointment apply a thin coating on the wound. Mucus membrane tissue heals rapidly, so that's the good news. You should see healing apparent to the eye within a couple days. If you see it becoming inflamed, swelling, getting crusty or discharging/weeping you know an infection is settling in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts