German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got a german shepherd. She's about 1 1/2 years old. Her bark isn't deep yet. I notice that she is shorter than the two previous females that I got before. I think she weighs about 65lb. I can pick her up like nothing. She also look shorter than my previous dogs. Should I feed her more?

·
5,627 Posts
Should I feed her more?
That is impossible to say based on the information you provided. 65lbs is a good weight for some females. There is no way anyone can tell you to feed her more without seeing what she looks like and knowing how much you already feed her.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You have only mentioned her height - feeding her more isn't going to make her get taller. What is her body condition? My 20 month old female is 66 lbs and that is a perfect weight for her.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Feeding her more food won't make her taller. How much are you feeding her now and of what kind of food? Pics from the side and straight down from the top will help us let you know if you need to feed more/less or she's at a healthy weight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will take pictures of her. I'm not trying to make her taller, its just when I pick her up she seems really light. So 65lbs is good for a 1 1/2 year old female? I just don't want to underfeed my dog leaving them hungry.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
65 pounds is well within the standard. Whether or not it is a good weight for your dog depends on the dog's height and body type. My Shepherd was around/under 65 pounds when I got her and she was a bit underweight/under-muscled (she's 26" tall) but other GSDs could be 65 lbs and overweight or perfect weight.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
My Mya stayed 62-65 lbs. her whole life...it was her perfect weight. My Ava ideally should be stay around 67ish....she was last weighed at 70 lbs...and while she looks good...vet and I agree she could lose 2-3 lbs to be ideal...her "tuck" isn't what it should be...lol. I have a sick foster...so whenever I give her meds in cheese...which is multiple times a day......I always give in and have to give Ava a snack...I think it's catching up on her...lol.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Hey guys I just got a german shepherd. She's about 1 1/2 years old. Her bark isn't deep yet. I notice that she is shorter than the two previous females that I got before. I think she weighs about 65lb. I can pick her up like nothing. She also look shorter than my previous dogs. Should I feed her more?
LOL! Maybe you're just really strong!

If your vet thinks she looks good, keep her lean. A fat dog is not a healthy dog.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree with everyone else...sounds pretty normal for a remale :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your dog isn't a puppy feeding more won't help them grow vertically (just horizontally :p ). A picture would help everyone know if the dog was at the correct body weight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok here's a picture. This was the best one I could try today. She is extremely energetic and quick, so she won't stay still. She's really nice to my smaller dogs. I think most german shepherds are nice to other dogs. I have 3 german shepherds before this one, and all of them were so gentle with my old dogs. I have yet to find another dog that doesn't bark at strangers or other smaller dogs. Sorry the yard looks dirty, my mom is using the pavers and brick for her garden. Can't start on it since it has been wet and cold these few days. I'm thinking of taking her to the park this Friday. I'm just hoping she make me work my a-s off running along with her lol. She also doesn't pull as hard as my other shepherds before, so I'm pretty happy about that :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
She does not look underweight by the pic. My 3 1/2 y/o female weighed 72 at the vet last week and I thought she might be a couple pounds over.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
65# is within the standard

·
Registered
161 Posts
She looks fine to me and a pretty dog too! What makes you think she's too thin? I don't see hip bones or ribs. If anything, keep her leaner as this breed has a tendency to balloon if you're not careful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well picking her up and down from the truck was an ease. I guess I'm just going to feed her the same amount now. I read that some people feed their shepherds with raw meat? Is that a good thing? I'm just worried about uncook meat and bacteria that could infect my dog digestive tract.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts