German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the chubby puppy thread, so I thought I would start one my own.

My dog is a rescue dog with some health issues, that I'm trying to get all cleared up. Since she was rescued from a bad environment, I don't know her exact age, I'm guessing somewhere just a little over two perhaps. I know she's had a litter just not long before I adopted her. (her nipples were still very large when I adopted her)

Anyway, her last weigh in this past week was 72 lbs. She's been gaining weight with every check in, but slowly, very slowly. My vet doesn't think she is too underweight. But I see the muscular pictures of GSD's on this site, and I look at my Callee and I can count the ribs, and just about see the back vertibre. So, what is your opinions? By the way, I tried to get some good photos, but they just didn't come out very well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add, she is currently on heartguard max, so she should have no internal parisites, I have her on a high fat and calorie diet. (I've just reciently added satin balls several times a day to give her weight a jump start) I haven't observed any sign of allergies. She seems to have good energy, and nice stools.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah she looks kinda thin, especially in the last 2 pics-- but some of that could be the muscle tone, if she needs to build muscle. With poor muscle, the bones stick out more.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yeah she looks kinda thin, especially in the last 2 pics-- but some of that could be the muscle tone, if she needs to build muscle. With poor muscle, the bones stick out more.

i agree. build some muscle on her. She's not TOO thin but she is thin. I would definitely agree with muscle building, possibly some uphill walks at a normal pace unless she can handle a quicker pace. I would take a wild guess and say 75 -78lbs is probably ideal for her in regards to weight. Otherwise she's looks good.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
She's too thin, but you're working to put weight on her so I wouldn't beat myself up over it.

I have a girl that's too thin, but you can't tell because she's a long haired and it hides it ;) for us, probiotics and enzymes were what really helped. But she also had intermittent diarrhea from needing the enzymes. I also added olive oil daily to up calories and fat content. But satin balls are doing that for you right now!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
She looks to be a slender dog and she doesn't have much of a waistline so, in that regard, she doesn't look thin. But the last 2 pics show ribs and hip bones so she must be too thin. What are you feeding her? Hopefully it is a high calorie, high quality grain free food like Orijen, Wellness, TOTW or Acana (obviously, there are many more good ones). Is she getting exercise to build muscle and appetite? Good luck and blessings on you for taking in a rescue.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, weight vs muscle tone. I bet you all are right, she was rescued from an environment where she was cabled 24/7. So she has not had the excersize that she has needed. Also she has been tested as positive for heartworm. (did the blood work on her when I first got her) I'm allowing her to do as she wishes currently, she starts her shot treatments next month, then she won't be allowed to run around for a while, so good bye muscle tone then. Hopefully I will have her in good enough health to pull through that well. I had her spayed last week. (I don't breed)

I just rattled off those photos last night. The bottom two pictures more accurately reflect what I see when I look at her.

I did have her on Diamond brand High energy formula, which is what I have all my other dogs on. I know it's not the best food, but according to the indipendent dog food review, it's not the bottom of the list either, it's sort of mid grade. She did ok on it, but I didn't like the look of her stools, they were too soft, so I switched her over to TOTW High Prairie. It seems to be agreeing with her digestive track a little better. Her problem is she's a nibbler, she won't sit down and wolf down 2-4 cups in one sitting like the other dogs do. So I feed her what she will eat in the morning, shove satin balls into her all day (she seems to really like those) and then at night she has a crate, and it has a water and food dispenser in it so she can slurp and nibble all night. (funny olive oil was mentioned, I added a little of that to the satin ball receipe)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
To me she looks like she could gain a couple pounds, but i like my dogs on the thin side where you see ribs, and feel then easily; (but not so much ribs that they look malnourished). I'd defiantly build more muscle on her though :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Bless you for adopting a heart worm positive dog! :hugs: Yes, she'll lose any semblance of muscle tone during that treatment and might gain a bit of fat too. When she's done you can start working on her physical condition with some uphill walking and maybe even swimming!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bless you for adopting a heart worm positive dog! :hugs: ...

Ya, I keep saying she's going to be my million dollar baby. :eek:

The story I got was she was rescued from an older man who perhaps suffered from substance abuse. Perhaps welped a litter of pups for drug/alcohol money? *sigh* Funny thing, if she was positive for heartworms, wouldn't the puppies be as well? :rolleyes:

I'm just fortunate she gets along well with everyone here, and she's at least got a chance here now. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I should add, she is currently on heartguard max, so she should have no internal parisites, I have her on a high fat and calorie diet.
Also she has been tested as positive for heartworm. (did the blood work on her when I first got her) I'm allowing her to do as she wishes currently, she starts her shot treatments next month, then she won't be allowed to run around for a while, so good bye muscle tone then.

I'm a little confused, she's heartworm positive and is on on Heartgard max? So isn't she already being given heartworm treatment (the Heartgard/slow-kill method) and shouldn't she already be kept quiet?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
What are her age and her height?

And, more importantly, do you have a decent photo of her standing, taken from the side and level with the dog - think "dog show" picture, where you can see all of the dog.

From what I can tell in these pictures, which aren't the best as a good side view is missing, she is on the thin side with very little muscle mass. Those things are almost independent of one another. You can have a very thin but very well-muscled dog. And you can have a dog that's a good weight but doesn't have much muscle. So don't necessarily figure weight and muscle are the same.

Personally, I like a thin dog. I like to see the last rib or two. When a dog is standing certain ways, especially when they're bending to one side, you can see more ribs. I'm fine with that. I've got a Malinois (the one in my icon) who's very much on the thin side but she's very active, very energetic, doesn't stand still much. She has nice muscle (in my opinion) so I am not worried.

I would not be too worried about putting a lot of weight on the dog quickly. Slow weight gain is better than fast weight gain, and building muscle is more important that building fat, anyway. Once she's through the heartworm treatment, work on building muscle and feed her enough and the weight will come.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Ya, I keep saying she's going to be my million dollar baby. :eek:
Lol. . . Cash's nickname was Flat Screen. We'd just about saved up for a flat screen TV when we brought him home and discovered he had heartworms. Then we just about saved up for a flat screen when he came down with colitis.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little confused, she's heartworm positive and is on on Heartgard max? So isn't she already being given heartworm treatment (the Heartgard/slow-kill method) and shouldn't she already be kept quiet?
Good question. I've consulted three different Vets when she tested HW+ (plus read a lot online about the desease and treatments)

I'm going with a regemin that was recomended by one of the consulted vets. It is a newer approach that uses a little bit of both fast kill and slow kill methods...

Here is what she had to say...

"we do heartworm treatments all the time at my clinic and 99% of the time there r no complications. the ones that have issues are the ones who were symptomatic before treatment. given the age of ur dog and the lack of symptoms i would go with the treatment. but before treatment i would recommend her to be on preventative for 3 months and for the last month before treatment for her to be on doxycycline. doxycycline is an antibiotic but it also has properties that weaken the adult worms. the preventative for 3 months allows all the immature worms to die. if she had her treatment now before being on preventative u run the risk of immature worms not being affected by the adulticide and after treatment they mature and reach the heart and she had heartworms again. "

I just adopted her in Nov. Right now she is on her 3rd month of the preventative. The preventative only kills off the microfilariae, which won't impact the lungs like the adult worms will. So she has been allowed to do as she wishes so far. She will be kept in her crate once she receives the shots.

Thanks for the thoughtful question.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That seems odd. The info I have read says dogs on both methods should be kept quiet, and that doxy is usually given before and during treatment, not at the end?

Here is a good webpage for example that talks about doxy:
DogAware.com Health: Heartworm Disease in Dogs - Prevention and Treatment

This also says that Heartgard does have some effect against adult worms.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are her age and her height?

And, more importantly, do you have a decent photo of her standing, taken from the side and level with the dog - think "dog show" picture, where you can see all of the dog.

From what I can tell in these pictures, which aren't the best as a good side view is missing, she is on the thin side with very little muscle mass. Those things are almost independent of one another. You can have a very thin but very well-muscled dog. And you can have a dog that's a good weight but doesn't have much muscle. So don't necessarily figure weight and muscle are the same.

Personally, I like a thin dog. I like to see the last rib or two. When a dog is standing certain ways, especially when they're bending to one side, you can see more ribs. I'm fine with that. I've got a Malinois (the one in my icon) who's very much on the thin side but she's very active, very energetic, doesn't stand still much. She has nice muscle (in my opinion) so I am not worried.

I would not be too worried about putting a lot of weight on the dog quickly. Slow weight gain is better than fast weight gain, and building muscle is more important that building fat, anyway. Once she's through the heartworm treatment, work on building muscle and feed her enough and the weight will come.
Thanks for your imput.

As I stated in the OP, I dont know her age, she was rescued, she's probably a little over two years old. She is 72lbs. 23 inches at the sholders 24 at the back hips? (shouldn't she be taller in front?)

I just adopted her in Nov. and I don't have her trained as well as she can be someday. So trying to get a quality photo of her stacked has been impossible. So all I have, so far are the crappy pictures I posted. (in fact, when I try to do anything to her, she frequently cries like I'm going to beat her...she really is quite a train wreck, hopefully with a lot of love and patience I can undo some of what's been done to her.

But from the other replys (and your reply as well) I've concluded that it isn't her weight that I have an issue with, but it is her body condition, which will straighten up after she gets past her heart worms and is allowed to run around and build up some muscle mass. Hey, from what I've been told, she has lived her first couple of years tied up with a cable. She's never actually excersized before. She has wore her front teeth down to the gums trying to get chew her excape from her previous captors. Some people just make me so mad. :mad:

I've just been compairing her body condition against the other dogs I have, and I can't count all the ribs on any of the other ones. (of course the great pyrenees for the hair) But nobody has a gut, everyone has a nice tight stomach, sort of hour glass shaped, even the blue heeler (which are natorious for being little pot belly piggies). So I'm going to just keep her on the current ration she is on, and I will start dialing it back a little bit when she gets closer to the 75-77 lb mark. (I will see how things work out once she gets back to full excersize)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If she is still fairly young, her weight may also have to do with going through that "lanky" stage. When I got my Abby, she was not yet 3 years old and still very lanky. It was not until she was about three that she truly started filling in and widening in the chest. So something else to think about.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That seems odd. The info I have read says dogs on both methods should be kept quiet, and that doxy is usually given before and during treatment, not at the end?

Here is a good webpage for example that talks about doxy:
DogAware.com Health: Heartworm Disease in Dogs - Prevention and Treatment

This also says that Heartgard does have some effect against adult worms.

Thanks for the link... I will bring it to the attention of my vet. (sometimes I wonder if they want to lock their doors when they see me comming. LOL)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts