German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had someone comment that my dog is too attached to me (is that even possible?) I have an almost 8 month old sable named Loki. I got him at 5 weeks old (I didn't know any better at the time). I describe him as a golden retriever stuck in a GSD body. It could be the puppy in him, but he's never met a stranger. He loves new people and never barks even when someone comes to the house and rings the bell. Anyway, he's at my feet all the time. If I go outside, he wants to be out with me, when I come inside he stops what he's doing to follow me in. I just thought it was a normal GSD trait to be a Velcro dog. He stays home when I'm at work (crate trained) and sleeps in the crate by my bed at night. I like that he's attached, but it would be nice to let him play outside while I'm doing stuff inside, and visa-versa. Now it's a chore to get him to go potty/stay outside when I'm not with him. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? All his favorite toys stay outside, and he has to leave them before coming in, that's about all I've tried so far.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
My pups are velcro dogs.. It is a relationship forged by having a job and being my partner.. I go to the bathroom they are there making sure all is well, however, if I tell them to stay, they stay.. Going outside for potty breaks they just go do it and come back in.. Close the door and leave him out there for 5 minutes, then go out with him (if he barks, jumps on the door etc don't let him in until he is quiet and/or sitting standing peacefully or you will develop a demanding dog).. Lengthen the outdoor solo time a few minutes as he gets better at being alone outside, until you have him relaxed when you give the command to go potty... I personally love that my dogs want to be with me all the time.. Sure, there are moments it is annoying, and yet, totally endearing.. You are awesome in your dogs mind! How cool is that? ;)

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Sounds like you've done a pretty good job thus far. And it sounds like you're a very "heads up owner!" What you've said is not really a problem ... but maybe there is something here??

Your timing is excellent "now" is the time to head "issue" off at the past! And the solution in my view is pretty simple and should be done and taught to "every" dog in anycase.:)

Teach the "Place Command" and do "Sit on the Dog" now "Sit on the Dog" may "appear" to feed into the clingy thing but it works. The two together help train "calmness into the dog and help him learn to relax" without being "all up in your grill and stuff" as it were. :)

I think just about all the details can be found here:

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

In anycase as always ask questions and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Sounds like a good GSD to me. The ones I have had were like your dog. It 's one of the many aspects I love about them. As long as he is OK being alone I don't see a problem with something so good.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I have one who is Ms Independent. Likes to be near me sometimes but also loves to lay out in the yard by herself, on a chair in another room etc. My boy dog wants to be by his mama. If I let him outside and don't go out with him, he waits by the door for me. He will go potty but then return to the door with his ball asking 'mama come out and play with me'. If I am inside, he wants to be inside. If I am outside, he wants to be outside. I personally enjoy this :) When I leave, he lays by the door waiting for me. He's not stressed or destructive so I don't see it as a problem.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
If he's fine while your at work, I'd say what your seeing is more him living in the routine you've created then any dependence on you. Leave him out and ignore him for a while as long as your yard is secure. Make that a part of the routine too.
Yes.......and close the door when you use your bathroom :grin2:.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! That's all very helpful! I have started the "morning routine" to let him out while I get ready. I'll start training him on "place" and "sit on dog" I've never heard of those, that will help out a lot too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts