German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a white GSD. A friend told me that white GSDs tend to run larger. I have no idea if this is true. But my dog just turned 3, took him to the vet for a check up, and he weighs 120 pounds. The thing is, he does not LOOK fat. I think it would be healthy for him to lose a few pounds, however. For the time being, I am trying to make sure he doesn't jump when we play - rather try to walk and run with him on level ground or just a gentle incline. Feeding him more omega-3 rich meals. So far he seems to move OK and no issues with pain, but these dogs will hide pain so it's up to me to keep an eye on this. Anyway, here is a picture of him. I think if we can just get him down a few pounds, we should be OK?

Dog Dog breed Tree Plant Wood

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Samson weighed 110 at his last vet visit in September. I don't encourage him to leap over four foot fences or anything, lol.But he runs,jumps,and climbs in the woods like any other dog.He's oversized but not overweight. Neither is your dog, he looks fine.
Dog Plant Carnivore Grass Dog breed

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
1,208 Posts
Samson weighed 110 at his last vet visit in September. I don't encourage him to leap over four foot fences or anything, lol.But he runs,jumps,and climbs in the woods like any other dog.He's oversized but not overweight. Neither is your dog, he looks fine. View attachment 594256
I didn't know Samson was a giantboi!

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Imagine if Shefali's dog lost 40 lbs to bring his weight into the breed standard. He'd be emaciated. Tall big boned dogs 🤷‍♀️
What's important is keeping them toned and lean in proportion to their individual structures. I'll get a picture today sometime of Samson next to Misty (60 lbs) to illustrate. They're out tramping around in the cornfield with hubby right now.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,870 Posts
I have a white GSD. A friend told me that white GSDs tend to run larger. I have no idea if this is true. But my dog just turned 3, took him to the vet for a check up, and he weighs 120 pounds. The thing is, he does not LOOK fat. I think it would be healthy for him to lose a few pounds, however. For the time being, I am trying to make sure he doesn't jump when we play - rather try to walk and run with him on level ground or just a gentle incline. Feeding him more omega-3 rich meals. So far he seems to move OK and no issues with pain, but these dogs will hide pain so it's up to me to keep an eye on this. Anyway, here is a picture of him. I think if we can just get him down a few pounds, we should be OK?

View attachment 594254
Your dog looks lean, fit and a good weight in that pic.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Shefali, I think your dog looks great and I would just concentrate on not letting him gain unnecessary weight. I can't imagine that the color of the dog leads to weight or frame structure btw, white makes no difference. Most of the very large GSD that I have seen are black and tan.....because most GSD are black and tan ;)

Rogan was 115 pounds a few months ago at the vets, just turned three and has really filled out in the last year. He looks less heavy to me than many of the dogs I have seen about that weight, he's very long and lean (37" chest), still eats 5-6 c kibble per day in 2 meals. I don't watch his weight much, just body condition. He's very active on the trails or outside 1.5-2 hours per day.

He's not as quick as Harley but a fast and powerful runner. You feel him as he pounds by if that makes sense. He tears up sod when he's in full flight with ridiculously long strides he can cover a lot of ground. I don't think I could get him back to 110 without withholding the calories that he's needed so far.

Dog Snow Sky Carnivore Tree

·
Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,379 Posts
It's hard to tell with just the one photo but to me it looks like he could lose a few pounds. When you run your hand down his side can you easily feel his ribs?

·
Registered
Paddy, Zoe, Mia, Rudy (dogs) Louie, Mocha (cats), 2 Lovebirds, 600 gallons of saltwater fish tanks
56 Posts
So pet anorexia is a thing, you constantly worry your pet is too fat? Just a few more pounds off.

You have a beautiful animal there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts