German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me to answer some questions.
Buddy is 8 months old, 87lbs.
I noticed some kind of green liquid in his nose today, you know, like when humans have cold sometimes. Does this mean he has a cold, or something else?
Also, I don't know if this is a problem, last 2 days he does this noise, like he wants to vomit, but he doesn't vomit in the end. He does it only sometimes, like in the morning and then it stops. Could it be bloat, I am not very familiar with it. Otherwise he appears healthy, active as usually, I take him out a lot.

·
Super Moderator
32,101 Posts
Sounds very much like Kennel Cough. It's not usually serious, and unless he develops a secondary bacterial infection, it will run its course in a week or two. But you should definitely take him in and have him checked to make sure it's not something more serious. If he has developed an infection he'll need to be on antibiotics. Otherwise, your vet may just have you give him cough syrup until he feels better.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: ddSounds like it could be a respiratory infection. I would take him to the vet ASAP.
I agree! In fact the first thing that popped into my mind is distemper. Whatever it is, IMHO you should take him to the doctor immediately.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
adding another to the posts in favor of getting him to the vet. when a discharge is green it's almost always a sign of some type of infection. yup, the vet, asap.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, sure I am taking him to the vet, just sometimes, they are not even sure what it is, so it is always good to know more about it before I go there.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Originally Posted By: caligirl07thanks guys, sure I am taking him to the vet, just sometimes, they are not even sure what it is, so it is always good to know more about it before I go there.
Yikes!
Sounds like it's time for you to go vet shopping!
Either way, I'd get him in ASAP.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Could be a fox tail (or similar) in his nose that's now infected too. (The vomit/coughing noise from the pus dripping down the back of his throat). It's likely systemic as the others have said. But make sure your vet looks up his nose as well, just to rule out a foreign object in there.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
there are alot of dogs contacting canine flu and the symptoms that you described just about cover it, so find a GOOD vet and im sure they can clear it up for you hon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts