German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one year old female German shepherd that I am thinking about showings in a year or so. I'm more curious about if her looks are good enough to show but I do know that showing a dog is about both the temperament and looks. I'm more curious about look so because you can't really tell about her temperament without seeing her in person. Also, She comes from good lines mostly on her fathers side with lots of champions.

Her pedigree and pictures are in the link bellow

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=2247726-delta-von-murphy#picturegalleries

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
She's lovely. Is she show-quality? Well, it depends. What are your goals? An AKC championship? An SV show-rating?

I think that if your ambition is to show GSDs, you've started out on the wrong end. You have a dog, now you want to show her. Really, you have to want to show and then get a dog. There is a lot more to it than that. And yes, if you are raising a puppy, it may seem like lining up all your ducks only to end up with a dog that isn't going to win anyways. Even if you do go in the right order.

If you are serious about showing, you need to figure out how and where and when. You have to align yourself with the right people. You have to learn what judges to show her under, in what types of shows, and when she will be at the top form. Generally, your best bet is to get a professional handler. It is probably best to get involved in whatever club that puts up shows of the type you plan to enter and get to know the other breeders. You have to learn the judges, and you have to enter the right shows. There really aren't any shortcuts. Mostly you go to a LOT of shows and you watch a lot of judges and you look at what kind of dogs they put up, and then you write it all down. This is why you should decide to show first, and then get a dog. After figuring out what you like, and who judges the type of dog you really like, then you find out who breeds the kind of dog you really like and get on their waiting list.

I don't know if your dog is show quality. It is WGSL, lots of very nice dogs behind her, though it may have some American dogs on the one side, I am not really sure -- I did not look close enough, I mean a dog is still WGSL with an AKC registration number, if the dogs behind it are WGSL. But, I am not sure about where these dogs are from the POA? So I don't know about some of the dogs on that side.

The thing is, once you do some homework, and get into a club, where some of the members are doing the kind of dogs you are, then you can get some pointers, hire a handler, have the dog evaluated, etc.

It takes time and money and commitment and a willingness to hear things you don't want to hear about a dog you really love and think the world of.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I am not sure what country abbreviation POA is, but that pedigree is 100% German showline. She's a pretty girl, nicely balanced, and I think she has the potential to do well in SV type shows. Because she doesn't have a pronounced curved back/roach, she might even pick up a ribbon or two in AKC shows!

She doesn't have a lot of angulation behind, though, so it isn't likely she's going to get a VA or Excellent Select placement. But hey, I think it's worth a try!

As Selzer says, it would be a wise idea to use a pro handler if you can afford it, though. Both SV and AKC shows require gaiting the dog at a really fast pace, plus lots of other little things that a newcomer isn't going to know about.

Try to find a club or an experienced person to mentor you. There is a LOT to learn about showing, as Selzer said!

It can get pretty political, too, and that stinks. I was at an big SV style show a couple of years ago where the most important criteria for the top placement seemed to be the kennel the dogs belonged to, rather than how nice their conformation was. He put up one dog that had such a weak hind end, it could barely stand. It also had one of the worst ring tails I've ever seen in a show ring!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
she is solid , sound, balanced , well conformed specimen.

I don't think she will do well in SV type shows, even in North America , when guest judges
are imported --- because she is not typical of what is favoured at the moment -- but that is a plus for you.

I have been to shows recently --- the "best" dogs , were at the end of the line-up -- the most exaggerated
roachy dogs were the winners

I have handled dogs in these shows (not recent) and have entered when this first became available - 1980's
and did well -- but it was a different type of dog then -- and it has changed a great deal

https://myshop.shawlein.com/ca/Bestsellers/c/4/The-Illustrated-Standard-for-the-German-Shepherd-Dog-by-Linda-J-Shaw/p/83811

Linda was with me that day and shared the opinion

Your dog would be appreciated in AKC ALL breed ----- not so much specialty shows.

find our from your AKC which should have an agenda of upcoming events when and where the
SANCTION matches are .

these are inexpensive PRACTICE sessions.

every one practices , the competitors , the young dogs , the ring stewards and the judges who are apprenticing
for their Judge title

even the pros take their young dogs out to the matches --

you may get some good hints , advice , someone who may suggest a judge who likes a balanced dog ,
maybe a handler , maybe someone who will become a friend in a new hobby --- who knows where this will
lead

There are no points awarded in Sanction matches .

nice dog ----

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
She looks lovely. Even if you don't win, you are working together and have fun together. It is great socialization as well and you are among other GSD people and their dogs. Yes, politics......just don't take anything personal. And...your dog will be the best one for you anyways. I think it is interesting for the general public to see a variety of GSD types.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everybody who has relied so far. I'm definitely going to do more research on this and more training

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
If you can, enter a handling class. The one I went to was an hour long, once a week for 3 weeks. And don't do a lot of obedience with your bitch first. If she walks along side you with a lose lead, that's great for most things, not for showing. You have to train her to run in front of you but still be manageable. She has to be very tolerant of people and dogs everywhere, and a class format is good for this. Bitches are tougher because they go into season at all the wrong times. But they are easier because you do not have to start at 8 weeks having strangers check your dog's testicles.

I will go with Carmen on AKC -- all breed. This means you will be showing at shows where they have all sorts of dogs. The specialty shows want American bred dogs and nothing else. The dog must not attempt to bite the judge, and they will touch the dog, and they will look at its teeth -- shouldn't be anything a good dog can't handle, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the other people, the American-bred dogs are out there every week having other people go over their dogs and getting used to it all.

I also agree with Carmen's assessment of SV-type shows. You have an SV-type dog, but it doesn't have the curvature that is being put up at this point. She should get a show-rating though in an SV-show. Of course, with stacking the dog, it might look a little more like what they are doing.

The thing about AKC shows is that the judges are all breeders, and so if you are in the ring with a judge's dog, guess who is most likely going to be put up? Yeah, these breeders are all putting up each other's dogs. And, the only one to get points is the winner. You get a ribbon for second place, no points. And I am not sure, but I think you get points, not for winning your class, but then you are put up against all the dogs in all the classes to get winner's dog, or winner's bitch. If you win that then I think you get points. Then you compete against each other, not sure if they put other champions in with Best of Breed. That would be points. Not sure if you get points for Best of Opposite Sex. You would get points if you take a group win or go best in show. I just don't know how common a shepherd goes that far.

It was years ago, but I did matches with Rushie and with Heidi. Heidi took Best of Breed and Second in Group. Rushie took his class, but didn't with breed. Of course Rushie was two and that was his first time anyone messed with his berries, LOL. Ah it is fun and cheap, and is a great way to practice, and get your feet wet, and to make contacts with like minded individuals.

Of course besides politics, dog show people (especially conformation) are, well, a breed of their own.

Trust me about getting a thick skin. As a breeder it is like putting a piece of artwork up for critique and criticism to all, including those who are competing for the same prize. And some of those people don't seem to give a darn about their dogs either. Some of them do not even live with their dogs. The handlers may keep them for months at a time. You might be there for a great thing to do with your girl, they are there to win, and it means a LOT to them.

I think I like the SV system better, where everyone in the class is rated and gets a show rating, unless they are disqualified for some reason. It has its problems as well, I am sure. It is hard to get away from politics when having the best dog means so much.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Hey! Take some conformation classes if you can find one in your area. Even if you end up not showing, the classes can only do her good. The important thing is to have fun, both you and your dog. It's great (ok, amazing!) when you win, but most of us do more losing than winning, at least at first. I love going to dog shows, so I have fun, win or lose.

Poke around in the conformation forum. I've posted a lot of silly stories about showing my dogs, if you want to take a look. I'm showing again, after losing my girl a couple of years ago. I'm so happy to have a dog back in the ring!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hey! Take some conformation classes if you can find one in your area. Even if you end up not showing, the classes can only do her good. The important thing is to have fun, both you and your dog. It's great (ok, amazing!) when you win, but most of us do more losing than winning, at least at first. I love going to dog shows, so I have fun, win or lose.

Poke around in the conformation forum. I've posted a lot of silly stories about showing my dogs, if you want to take a look. I'm showing again, after losing my girl a couple of years ago. I'm so happy to have a dog back in the ring!
Definitely take some handling classes. I'm trying to learn, but it is way harder than it looks. (It doesn't help that my pet dog HATES IT and usually will tolerate about two manual stacks before flopping on her side and huffing at me.) But you'll get some good pointers in a class and it helps to observe the other handlers who are more experienced.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
selzer said ". This means you will be showing at shows where they have all sorts of dogs. The specialty shows want American bred dogs and nothing else"

by all sorts of dogs that means a show that will have all breeds - and your GSD class might have some home-bred, some domestic-American bred , maybe a WGSL , a working line , a Czech bred dog ----- everything under the sun.

the SV shows tend to have only WGSL's .

"specialty" shows tend to be only American GSDs bred for show conformation -- breeder centric --- the usual line up of kennels --- usually with stock related to some way

have a look at this thread http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/175652-good-conformation-folder.html

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Definitely take some handling classes. I'm trying to learn, but it is way harder than it looks. (It doesn't help that my pet dog HATES IT and usually will tolerate about two manual stacks before flopping on her side and huffing at me.) But you'll get some good pointers in a class and it helps to observe the other handlers who are more experienced.

Scarlet fell over in a heap more than once while she was learning to stack, crying one time. My handler said “oh no, I made a German Shepherd cry”. Ummm, no, she’s a brat and is playing you because she doesn’t want to do it! She was perfectly fine in the ring, lol, once she got there.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Here's a few more photos of delta stacked and on her side
The first photo looks great. Yes, you will want to perfect the stack, but she looks like she has a lot of potential. Nice pigment, nice structure, good expression, etc.

The picture on the steps makes her look very leggy, almost pet-line. Could be just going through a growth stage.

The last picture makes her look a little too square. Should be longer than the are tall. That is just my perception, though. When they are trotting, they should have a level top line. And a lot of the exaggerated dogs, are really looking bad because of the stack positioning. Some of the roaches out there are also attributed or accentuated by the stacking.

Really, get in a handling class, and get into a club. Get a mentor. They can help a lot with picking judges. There is no point at all putting your dog in a class with a judge that doesn't put up GSL dogs. If you pick your judges well, you can knock down your overall costs immensely. You cannot pick who you will compete against, but you can pick your judges.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Scarlet fell over in a heap more than once while she was learning to stack, crying one time. My handler said “oh no, I made a German Shepherd cry”. Ummm, no, she’s a brat and is playing you because she doesn’t want to do it! She was perfectly fine in the ring, lol, once she got there.
Mine loathes stacking. Hates running ring patterns just as much. I have to run and practically drag her to get her to trot rather than pace. You'd think she would think that was fun; she loves trotting when we goof around on walks and I break into a run, but nope, not this. I know she's playing me because she's not in bad shape and this is a dog built to trot for hours, but she acts like she's dying of fatigue by the time I've made her run three ring patterns and stack twice.

I let a brand new junior take her during one class because this poor girl had been showing up week after week and nobody had a dog for her to work, and my dog acted like a huge brat the entire time (and played it up once she realized the kid would give her extra treats and reassurance when she whined).

I don't expect much from her, though, given that she was all of 3 when we started this, and she doesn't really have as much interest in tasks that don't involve scent or trailing.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the first picture isn't the best because you have bridged the dog --- the front is pulled forward
the rear os overstretched
it distorts the topline (back)

the second picture shows a nicer top , and the front placement is correct
the rear is pretty good - all you need to do is to take that right hind foot and place it into
the line where your hock is (in the picture) 4 to 6 inches back

that will show her curve of stifle and firm hock

when placing the front make sure the feet don't go easty westy - position from the elbow

nice solid dog

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She's lovely. Would you mind sharing who her breeder is?
I know that the breeder made both of my dogs parents accounts on pedigree database and that they have another female. If you give me some time I'll be able to get better info on them, I honestly forgot lol it's been a while. Also deltas grandfather on the mothers side breeder has a website and its http://vmsshepherds.com but I don't think they breed him anymore, they got a new sire.

Also, I'm thinking about starting a thread were I can post pictures of delta and her siblings when they were puppies and pictures of her parents but it's only the pictures I took when I bought her.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts