German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 weeks ago right when my puppy turned 6 mo. i started noticing some dried red-brownish looking substance around her privates...i was like, what??! So i was assuming it was her going into heat, but now im a little worried because although i have seen a little bit of what looked like fresh blood in the morning once or twice over the last week or so, she doesn't seem to have the other characteristics... how do i know if her "thing" is swollen? It never has looked like it to me. I haven't noticed any other dogs acting differently around her. Today there seems to be some clear discharge, is this normal? How long should she be bleeding? I'm a little concerned that it could be something else (i feel like with Dani, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong!). Poor Dani. I hope im overreacting. I'll think I'll take her in tommorrow to have the vet look, but anyone have any good experience/advice??? Is there something else it could be?

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
There is puppy pyometra, or a urinary tract infection. If she is acting normally, eating and drinking, just mark the calendar and ensure there are no unsupervised meeting with males during the next 3-4 weeks.

When they go into heat young, it can be kind of odd. It can start and then stop for a few weeks and then start again. It can look like it, but then she comes in again in two months and that's the real thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts