German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. this is my 9 week old puppy, Teyah ?? we were sold her under the ideal that she is in fact a German Shepherd but just trying to gain a second opinion. I know it's almost impossible to tell without papers/real life contact. I am convinced she is a GSD however my partner is unsure. she is slightly underweight for her age bear in mind. would love some input from more experienced owners. thanks in advance!
Abbie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
She looks like a good possibility. She could be a Mal too I don't know. She's a cutie for sure.

·
Banned
679 Posts
To my untrained eye, she looks like a cross with a Belgian Mal, but I could be very wrong :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just looked up Belgian mals and I'm pretty certain she must be a cross. ahhhh well, she's still a cutie. thanks again

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
She could be a pure bred GSD. There is such a thing as a Fawn GSD, all tan, no saddle. I don't see any Malinois in her. Do you have pictures of the parents, siblings? links to a pedigree, or registered names of the parents? Just trying to look at this dog's background to help you figure out what you have.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Mals and shepherds are basically the same dog though
Maybe you are confusing some other shepherding dogs? GSDs and Belgian Malinois are completely different breeds, originating in different countries, from completely different foundation dogs.

There is some surface physical resemblance, but that is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
31,591 Posts
what does the rest of her look like? I'm guessing a sable GSD.

·
Registered
31,591 Posts
That's what I thought too, Lucia.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Maybe you are confusing some other shepherding dogs? GSDs and Belgian Malinois are completely different breeds, originating in different countries, from completely different foundation dogs.

There is some surface physical resemblance, but that is purely coincidental.
Totally agree with above. Sort of like saying an airdale and a jack russell are the same because they are both terriers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't receive much info about parents etc as we weren't exactly looking for that pedigree standard type dog but they were certain her parents were 100% german shepherd. she's now around 9 weeks old so I do agree her ears are pointing very early. all I know is she is EXTREMELY energetic and intelligent haha. when looking at the Belgian mal pups I did see more of a resemblance. she weighs around 5kg now I estimate. as her first check up she was 3kg and she's got a bit fatter lol. really appreciate all the help. feel like I understand her more when reading about all the breeds x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bear in mind my estimates are a bit out because I can't be certain but a week ago the vet said they estimate her at 8 weeks weighing between 3-4kg lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts