German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached a few pictures. This is my 8 month old certified GSD. I haven’t wondered until today if he may be underweight. I attached a headshot because he’s so handsome :)

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
he’s thin, but his weight looks appropriate for his age and frame. waist is proportionate to his narrow rib cage. on the low end, but no spine hips or ribs showing. i personally like to see a bit more bulk (muscle), especially on a male..... but that may not be how he’s destined to turn out. if he’s already neutered, that will also have an affect on his physical development.

if he gained a couple pounds i wouldn’t mind at all. i would if he lost any... he doesn’t have any reserve.

...but you’re right, he’s very handsome. what’s his diet and exercise routine like?

·
Registered
675 Posts
To me, he looks too thin. He can't gain muscle without more fuel, so if this were my dog, I would be feeding him more.

He is handsome, just thinner than I like to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
His diet is strictly a special made blend of salmon and brown rice. No filler, no junk. He is recommended to have 2 and 1/2 cups daily per the company that makes the feed. It is enriched with a plethora of vitamins along with probiotics
hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he’s thin, but his weight looks appropriate for his frame. waist is proportionate to his narrow rib cage. on the low end, but no spine hips or ribs showing. i personally like to see a bit more bulk (muscle), especially on a male..... but that may not be how he’s destined to turn out. if he’s already neutered, that will also have an affect on his physical development.

if he gained a couple pounds i wouldn’t mind at all. i would if he lost any... he doesn’t have any reserve.

...but you’re right, he’s very handsome. what’s his diet and exercise routine like?
If it helps any, he was 65 pounds at his 6 month visit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a very long boy in our experience (this is our 6th) and I guess it helps to know that he had coccidia as a very early pup that was near fatal but has rebounded perfectly

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Unlike others who have responded, I think his weight looks ideal! Especially while he's still growing fast, it's best to keep them lean. His weight is almost identical to what my dog weighed at that age, she'll be 3 in a couple days, and now weighs 80 lbs.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
I like a lean dog. And while they are growing they often hit lanky, skinny stages.
One comment though, I think you said 8 months? That is a lot of high impact, jarring exercise for a growing dog. Be cautious with his joints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like a lean dog. And while they are growing they often hit lanky, skinny stages.
One comment though, I think you said 8 months? That is a lot of high impact, jarring exercise for a growing dog. Be cautious with his joints.
I am genuinely interested in what you consider high impact. Is it jumping, or running, or...?

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
I am genuinely interested in what you consider high impact. Is it jumping, or running, or...?
Jumping, running, hard stops, etc. I like to see growing dogs engage in free play when feasible. Limited forced exercise. So free running yes, structured running no.
You know your dog and I am not a vet so ...
I don't ask for any jumping or hard turns while growing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I’ve been attending agility classes with my dog since he was nine months old, he’s now on the cusp of eight teen months old and we are just now doing jumps where he lifts off the ground. Eight months even though they appear more mature, are still puppies with a lot of growing left to do. Free exercise on natural ground is one thing... even my adult dogs I won’t exercise on pavement, or otherwise unforgiving surfaces for longevity of musculoskeletal health. It’s not good for your bones either, if you are jogging. Your dog does look lean, but not worriedly so. He doesn’t have much in the way of reserves though as mentioned. At his age they do go through gawky phases and for reasons listed above, less stress on his growing body the better. 2 1/2 cups per day seems pretty low, mine get almost double that plus fresh toppers and they are in good condition. Theres nothing wrong with going outside the recommended parameters to adjust the proper amount for your individual dog, every one has varying metabolisms and activity levels.

For what it’s worth, I commend you for taking such a keen interest in your dog and his well being. He IS handsome and we would all enjoy more photos if you get the opportunity!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks fine, just gawky. Maybe feed him a little bit more since he's burning through so many calories. Personally, I prefer to have the first 3 or 4 ribs less visible when standing still.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I think he looks perfect. Young dogs need to grow slowly and steadily. He is supposed to be lanky at this age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts