German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my buddy too thin. Hes only 6 months but he ways a TON. Hes about 75 lbs right now but hes a super lean boy? And What can I do to bulk him up a bit if he is? Im considering high protein food?

·
Registered
1 Posts
German Shepard pups are on the thinner side. He looks healthy. Just make sure you’re feeding him the amount recommended for his age, which is surplus.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
we get used to seeing lots of fat dogs and slim dogs look odd. Adolescent GSDs look lanky, totally normal.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hard to tell if he's really lean without seeing a picture from the side at body height and maybe one from the top but he's certainly a generous weight for 6 months.

My youngest dog Rogan was 70 pounds at 6 months and 25" at the withers and was 100 pounds at 8 months but leveled off at 103 at 12 months. I was hoping he'd stop around 90 but he's at least 105-110 now at 15 months.

He was painfully, almost embarrassingly skinny and still very lean. Better a lean dog than anything "heavy" at the same weight. This pic was about 10 months, still all ribs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Breed Standard for a male is 24-26" at the withers and 60-85 pounds when mature. It's best for GSD pups to grow slowly. Too many people try to push them too fast with too much or too high of protein food. The breed is a medium large breed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
our breeder was panicked at that statistic that our pup was 64 pounds at 5 months and told us to cut back on his food. Alarmed, I took him to the vet that day and the vet checked him out and said, if anything he's too lean. From that experience, I gathered that you can't go by stats alone. a skilled eye and hand need to examine the dog. in our case, the vet said he's got a really heavy skeleton (thick bones) and he's got a large skeleton, but in terms of fat, he's lean. the vet suggested that we continue to feed him according to the bag (Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain - is 4 cups a day). the vet agreed that you can cause issues by over feeding, but similarly, you can cause issues by under nourishing. so 4 cups a day we continue.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
our breeder was panicked at that statistic that our pup was 64 pounds at 5 months and told us to cut back on his food. Alarmed, I took him to the vet that day and the vet checked him out and said, if anything he's too lean. From that experience, I gathered that you can't go by stats alone. a skilled eye and hand need to examine the dog. in our case, the vet said he's got a really heavy skeleton (thick bones) and he's got a large skeleton, but in terms of fat, he's lean. the vet suggested that we continue to feed him according to the bag (Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain - is 4 cups a day). the vet agreed that you can cause issues by over feeding, but similarly, you can cause issues by under nourishing. so 4 cups a day we continue.
That's where the expression "feed the dog in front of you comes from"
4 cups a day is about right for that age/size. There's often a growth spurt from 5-7 months where you may have to up that total for a few months. My older dog Harley (6 years) eats 4c per day as a maintenance number, Rogan still eats 6c and he's what some people would call a hard gainer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts