German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I know this is one question that gets asked a lot, but I'm curios. I have an aproximately 14 weeks puppy, I got him from someone who couldn't tell me if he is a mix or pure. He is a rescue dog, and that's why I got him. When I got him, he was 8-10 weeks and looked cute, didn't look like a tan sable GSD (like he looks now, or at least I think). Seeing how he changed his coat, I wondered if he is a pure breed. When I got him, he was 8-9 pounds at 8-10 weeks old, you could see his ribs. Now, at 14 weeks he is over 17 pounds. He is still small, but he eats well. His ears show signs of going a little more up when he is concentrated on something than they were when I first got him. I just want to know what you think, I love him no matter what, but if he is a pure breed, I could learn more about german shepherds, what they need, how to train him. Thank you for your answers!

8-10 weeks old
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Collar

14 weeks old
Dog Carnivore Fawn Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Fawn Companion dog Dog breed

Carnivore Felidae Dog breed Whiskers Fawn

·
Super Moderator
9,500 Posts
He's got a sable coat.It will change colors a few times before he reaches adulthood. His ears will go up and down until they settle on a permanent position as he gets closer to one year old.He looks to be high content GSD to me:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I thought, he's got a sable coat. If I brush his hair in the opposite direction, I can see on his shoulders, sides and the sides of his upper back legs - black hair underneath. High content GSD, that's what I should've said instead of pure breed. Thank you for your answer!

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
This is one cute pup. (Do we ever say a pup is less than cute?) I am impressed that you are prioritizing care of your pup over spending money on a DNA test. Thanks for that. Time will tell or not how much he will look like a GSD when he is grown. (now there's an obvious statement for you!) I've had people question my obviously purebred GSD's lineage, too. There's a bit of variety in the breed - subtle and not so subtle. Coat length, coat color, ears up or not, body shape - etc. It will be fun to watch him mature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I loved my dogs (had a Dalmatian in the mid 90's, a German Shorthaired Pointer in the early 2000's and a Dalmatian mix that I got from a shelter in 2010) and I love my puppy. I can't wait to go on awesome adventures together, car trips and do best friends stuff!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
He's a really cute pup but the only way to tell his breed is with a DNA test. He looks like there is a lot of German Shepherd there, so I would assume he has some, if not all, of the breed characteristics. Their coats change a lot as they grow so you kind of have to wait and see. But sables can be identified by looking closely at a single hair. If it's 2 or 3 different colors, that's a sable. Congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's a really cute pup but the only way to tell his breed is with a DNA test. He looks like there is a lot of German Shepherd there, so I would assume he has some, if not all, of the breed characteristics. Their coats change a lot as they grow so you kind of have to wait and see. But sables can be identified by looking closely at a single hair. If it's 2 or 3 different colors, that's a sable. Congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to the forum.
Thank you! Good to be here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts