German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's weighing in around 90-95lbs. The vet said keep him in that weight range and that he looks healthy. I'm just wondering as some people say he's looking a little on the heavy side even though he is naturally a bigger GSD.

When I got my dog he was really skinny and under weight. Every rib was visible, you could even see his spine.

He was neglected and abused in the past etc etc.

Anyways fast forward to now and this is what he looks like: (sorry no before pictures)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello, those really arn't the best photos to tell. Wrong angles and he's sitting kinda funny.

Sheps you are supposed to be able to just make out the last rib on there rib cage. If you can feel his ribs with no problem i'm sure he's fine. If you go to feel his back rib and there is 1" of fat to feel through first then he would be fat. In the first photo he still has a waist so if anything he's not severly overweight.

He looks good to me though until we could see some photos from the side standing up.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think he looks great. He looks muscular.
My dog stand 27 1/2 inches & is at 90 pounds. If he was any thinner, he would look sick.

It depends on the build of your dog. If he has a "waistline" he is fine.

BTW.... YOU can judge BEST on how he looks.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The last picture is the best for a tell in my book. He looks solid but not overweight. He has a waist and is not round in the ribs. I would say he's just about right.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
He definitely looks chunky in the pics to me, but these are really terrible pics to tell. You need to get clearer standing pics with his head up in much better light in order to actually see the dog better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: Weber1bThe last picture is the best for a tell in my book. He looks solid but not overweight. He has a waist and is not round in the ribs. I would say he's just about right.
Thank you.

I'm trying to maintain his waist line and keeping him lean, but all these storms in SoCal is making it hard haha.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: ElaineHe definitely looks chunky in the pics to me, but these are really terrible pics to tell. You need to get clearer standing pics with his head up in much better light in order to actually see the dog better.

Hes not chunky!!!
OH MAN! How thin do you want the poor thing to be?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I want dogs to be lean machines and not to be prime rib which is how this dog looks in these pics. Like I said: the pics are terrible and nothing can be said for sure without better ones in better light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well when the storms pass over CA hes gonna be out running a lot more and exercising. I'm gonna wing him off a cup of food so he'll only be getting 3 cups a day now.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: ElaineI want dogs to be lean machines and not to be prime rib which is how this dog looks in these pics. Like I said: the pics are terrible and nothing can be said for sure without better ones in better light.
Are you a lean machine?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Angel R, my dogs are all lean machines. I don't know why you are attacking me when it's the OP that's asking about their dog? Why do you care so much what my opinion is that you are so offended?

To the OP, don't be making changes by our opinions on these terrible pictures. There is no way to say for sure without better ones.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: ElaineAngel R, my dogs are all lean machines. I don't know why you are attacking me when it's the OP that's asking about their dog? Why do you care so much what my opinion is that you are so offended?

To the OP, don't be making changes by our opinions on these terrible pictures. There is no way to say for sure without better ones.
OH MY! I was just joking with you!!!!!
But you cant tell on the internet, sorry

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
This chart might help you to figure out if your dog's weight is ok:
http://www.healthdome.net/images/WeightComparison.gif

Also those pictures in the link show the type of angles that you should try to take photos at if you want advice on your dog's weight-- side view from as close to straight on as possible (get down to the dog's level) and top view looking straight down.

ETA: Here are two examples of my previous dog that show the angles to take the photos at... Sorry, this is not a GSD because I don't have photos of Bianca at the right angle...

Side View

Overhead View

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh, the storms in Nor Cal are worse! YIKES! I know it is hard to get out in the winter, for us too. It is hard to tell with the pics, but I like the last one because I can see a waist. If you cannot feel the ribs, then that is a problem. Also, if he didn't have a waist, that would be a problem. If he were mine, I would want to take a few pounds off, but again, it is very difficult to tell without actually being there to see him. I kinda like "leaner" dogs, but it doesn't mean your dog is overweight. How old is he?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Your last picture wasn't perfect but it does suggest that he has a "figure" and from that I would say that he looks OK.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts