German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
somehow I always seem to fall for the runt of the litter, and as with my 4 y/o rat terrier boy who was also a runt, I fell for Tawny our 9 week old German shepherd. (shes just under 10lbs) Her belly is nice and round,she eats with passion lol, and shes just precious and active as can be, but I wanted to check with others that know the breed to see if this is ok, since all the weight charts I can find show her as way under the norm. She did come from a litter of 13 if you can believe that so maybe that contributes to her smallish size?
I feed her twice daily, as thats what my vet reccomends and shes on a standard puppy kibble(about a 1.5 cups) with a bit of canned mixed in.

any help would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Among the various vet records I got from Sasha's previous owner, there was one from her first vet visit, I think at around 8 weeks, and it said she was about 10 lbs, too. Now, at 4 years old, she's a sturdy 26" and 80-85 lbs.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Tika was 7 pounds at 7 weeks. Her littermates (all 10 of them) were all 10-13 pounds each. Tika is within the standard for height and weighs about 65-68 pounds. Hmmmm why cant I remember the "sisters" weights.........

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
She sounds completely normal. Flash was WAY below the growth curve for a while. He's still a few pounds shy but he was 10+ pounds "behind" for a while, smaller than even the female growth curve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts