German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive recently been loosing a bit of confidence in my puppies progress and feel over the last 2 weeks Ive been slacking a bit on the training front. He's now 5 months and wanted know if it sounds like he's making good progress for his age or should he already be secure on alot more commands at this point.
So far Sit, Come, Down, All the way (laying position), Gentle (when taking food from hands) Bed, and Leave It are well on the way, though he has his moments while he's distracted or feeling rebellious.
Am currently in need of more work on wait (at doors/crossing streets) then Release, Enough (stop barking/stop running ect), Drop, Off (an object his paws are up on eg person, stairs, chair) and Out (get out of a room), he gets it while in 'training mode' as in knowing he'll get a treat but needs more consistence on them.
Im also noticing the enthusiasm he had for specific training sessions is decreasing where at 3/4 months Id have his focus until I ended it now he seems to zone out and become more distracted and restless after about 5 minutes or so - is this normal for his age, should I stick with my routine so far which is encorporating commands into play, walks and setting aside 10 minutes about 2/3 times a day specifically for clicker training sessions or do I need to make a point of making all training super fun so as to keep him engaged. He's always way more engaged during play where I don't usually use a clicker.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For the treat during short structured training- have you tried maybe phasing into another reward besides food? Does he have tug or ball drive? They do go through periods of being more distracted. Just continue to be the most fun and engaging thing in his world. All the commands you listed as him down already are great..I would not expect a 5 month old to have all those others fully honed yet. Do you plan to do any structured sport or activities with him? Or just a well trained family pet?

·
Super Moderator
7,250 Posts
If training during play is working the best then stick with it.The behaviors you're teaching are all basic house manners and should be incorporated into your daily life.In various rooms,in the yard,and when out and about.Something that's helpful is to give your dog something specific to do after a 'stop' or 'no' command.If he's excited and wants to jump "No! Sit!Good boy!" Teach alternative behaviors that will become habitual.His impulse control will improve gradually.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
222 Posts
If it helps, I'm going through the same thing with my 5 month old pup. A couple of months ago he never got distracted. Now, saying that he can go 5 minutes without getting distracted, nipping at my pants, just forgetting commands he had down cold before, etc would be very generous. I don't know if it is teething (he's almost done) or adolescence starting but it's a pretty striking change.

For now I'm just rolling with it. Lots of spontaneous training sessions lasting no more than 3 minutes.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I would concentrate less on obedience skills at his age and work more on engagement and focus, and rewarding calm behaviors so your dog learns to settle. Bonding is much more important than skills. They also need time to explore and sniff.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Why are you grading the pup at this age. Let a puppy be a puppy! Unless dog has excellent food drive, food varies as an attraction in training .....keep formal sessions at no more than 5 minutes. Be consistent but not demanding at this point and keep it fun. Your keeping score at this age will gradually seep into your body language....if that makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is almost 6 months and has started barking at the beginning of training sessions. Not much - she'll bark at me once after 2-3 commands, kind of "I don't want to do this right now! Let's play!!" ..
She also sometimes gets reaaally slow at doing what I ask her to do (especially with 'down' when she is excited, she looks at me with defying eyes and does it very slowly, often times half way ...)

I used to work with treats and no leash, but she's developing other behavioural issues and the trainer I'm working with is using a no-treat method which has been working REALLY WELL for a few things (leash manners and listening/not barking when cats pass by on walks, for example) so now I do no treat, but leash on otherwise I'll be playing chase instead of training. When she doesn't listen right away I say 'no' and tug the leash until she does it. One day at a time ... apparently they often get worse around 8-9 months >:)

We have a lot of playing breaks during training these days. 5mins training, 3-4min play, 3 times in a row, twice a day. It really makes her like the whole thing more.

I think you should definitely work more on "wait" and "drop it", as they could save his life? Ask him to sit before every street you cross/getting in or out of the car/doors or gates when on walks, and don't let him go unless you say your release word (I say "let's go" when walking, or OK for other things). If after he sits he stands right away, tug the leash saying "no" repeatedly until he sits again and praise him. This worked wonders with mine.
The drop it ... is crucial!!! In the last week Zola has dropped a used condom, a dead rat, and a dried poop she had picked up, on the first command (I'm very proud). If your dog knows the command, just play with him, say "drop it" and if he doesn't, turn around and leave, and don't give him any attention for a minute or two. He'll get it.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts