German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yoda, my super active GSD female, is about 20 months old. She's quite healthy, active, cheerful and protects the fam from all kinds of mailman, squirrels and what not.

She gets 350gms of homecooked chicken, 2 cups of kibble (puppy, because of higher calorie count), and vitamin supplement. Drinks enough water, plays around, and is gorgeous.

The only concern I have is, she weighs 50lbs. She's lean, and I can feel her bones but not too sharp. I'm attaching pictures of her.

Vet doesn't seem to stick to one opinion. So, I'm confused.

Do help me out here. I'm not concerned about her being mixed or anything, I just want to know if she's healthy and that's all I want for her.
Carnivore Dog breed Felidae Companion dog Fawn

Dog German shepherd dog Leg Dog breed Road surface

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Bit difficult to tell without an overhead and full side shot, but from these, she looks great to me. Very pretty!!!!

Reactions: Abby1109

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
She looks perfect.
As was already said, keep her lean.

Reactions: Abby1109

·
Super Moderator
5,638 Posts
My gal-dog is 6 years old and 55 pounds at best. She loves to run. Her heart longs to herd. Your gal looks fine to me but if in doubt it doesn't take much to have some tests done. Just a blood draw can check for a multitude of things. Also, is she spayed? Once a female is de-sexed they need less calories it seems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My gal-dog is 6 years old and 55 pounds at best. She loves to run. Her heart longs to herd. Your gal looks fine to me but if in doubt it doesn't take much to have some tests done. Just a blood draw can check for a multitude of things. Also, is she spayed? Once a female is de-sexed they need less calories it seems.
Her blood work came back fine. She's hyper active and loves to run, and jump. She isn't spayed, we have another female golden retriever (4 months).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Beautiful young lady!!! Agree with others as to keeping her lean. It sounds like her temperament and activity level will help with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful young lady!!! Agree with others as to keeping her lean. It sounds like her temperament and activity level will help with that.
It sure does. We started giving her some vitamin supplement as prescribed by vet, turns out it helped a little. No weight gain, but her coat looks much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bit difficult to tell without an overhead and full side shot, but from these, she looks great to me. Very pretty!!!!
All shepherds should have a waist. You should be able to feel the ribs and backbone, but she should not have sharp boney feel. Females will not weigh as much as males. Carrying too much weight is not good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yoda, my super active GSD female, is about 20 months old. She's quite healthy, active, cheerful and protects the fam from all kinds of mailman, squirrels and what not.

She gets 350gms of homecooked chicken, 2 cups of kibble (puppy, because of higher calorie count), and vitamin supplement. Drinks enough water, plays around, and is gorgeous.

The only concern I have is, she weighs 50lbs. She's lean, and I can feel her bones but not too sharp. I'm attaching pictures of her.

Vet doesn't seem to stick to one opinion. So, I'm confused.

Do help me out here. I'm not concerned about her being mixed or anything, I just want to know if she's healthy and that's all I want for her. View attachment 580709
View attachment 580708
View attachment 580710
Looks perfect to me. Do not worry about how much she weighs. It's better to be lean than heavy. To avoid hip and bone/joint problems.. Your good..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts