German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been taking Trin to kids activities for a while now and she stays on a short 4 feet leash and behaves just fine. No barking, lunging etc. I usually walk/run the trail while kids are practicing. Recently a few parents have complained that they and/or their kids are scared of Trin so coach has politely asked me to not bring her to practice. It is a public park so legally I can be there. Its kind of a bummer as 2/3 times a week its a good exercise and training for Trin for some obedience training, dog reactivity and just sniffing around. The place also has a river front where she swims when the water levels allow. I am considering offering to put a muzzle on her and see if that helps calm some of the folks. What do folks on the forum think? It's a run club to the kids pass by us when we are walking once or so, when this happens I usually just get on the side and put Trin in a sit or down to let them pass by. The place has lot of other dogs who are walking around, most of them are small fluffy dogs, but I guess something about german shepherds that scares people.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
To the non-educated on dog behavior, a muzzle is a sign of an aggressive dog. I agree with the coach. You can work him on a good safe distance. Immerging him can create an issue. You don't need to expose 2 or 3 times a week to get him used to this. They don't forget.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To the non-educated on dog behavior, a muzzle is a sign of an aggressive dog. I agree with the coach. You can work him on a good safe distance. Immerging him can create an issue. You don't need to expose 2 or 3 times a week to get him used to this. They don't forget.
I am not sure I get what you are saying. We have already been doing this for a year now. Just recently few parents seem to be getting uncomfortable for reasons unknown as they are anonymous. Also with regards to muzzle being sign of aggressive dog do you think a cute one like this will help any ?
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Dog supply

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I would discuss it with the coach. If you can’t convince him it’s okay, then I probably wouldn’t do it. You could talk about the muzzle or keeping her farther away. The bigger issue here is if you decide to fight and rock the boat it could also affect your daughters. While I’m all for exercising your rights, I think the consequences of said actions should always be weighted.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would discuss it with the coach. If you can’t convince him it’s okay, then I probably wouldn’t do it. You could talk about the muzzle or keeping her farther away. The bigger issue here is if you decide to fight and rock the boat it could also affect your daughters. While I’m all for exercising your rights, I think the consequences of said actions should always be weighted.
Thanks, it is very frustrating. Anyways, I did offer him that I will just walk the trail and put her back in the car post walk and never bring her near where all kids gather in the beginning and at the end. Hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
I am not sure I get what you are saying. We have already been doing this for a year now. Just recently few parents seem to be getting uncomfortable for reasons unknown as they are anonymous. Also with regards to muzzle being sign of aggressive dog do you think a cute one like this will help any ? View attachment 579323
I wouldn't. I would just be a supportive parent to my kids. It will be more enjoyable for you too instead of having to worry about evil looks. It is unfortunate that people talk behind each other's back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't. I would just be a supportive parent to my kids. It will be more enjoyable for you too instead of having to worry about evil looks. It is unfortunate that people talk behind each other's back.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Have you thought about socializing the dog with the parents and kids? If they see the dog is no threat, no more problems. Just have the parents and kids come one at a time. It would be good for the dog and for the participants at the sporting event. I think the reputation of a German Shepherd is what the problem is. They are ignorant of the breed so of course they are scared.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you thought about socializing the dog with the parents and kids? If they see the dog is no threat, no more problems. Just have the parents and kids come one at a time. It would be good for the dog and for the participants at the sporting event. I think the reputation of a German Shepherd is what the problem is. They are ignorant of the breed so of course they are scared.
In the past I have let some kids pet her and such. I always worry about folks who already have preconceived notions, they are all nerves and the dog sense that. Last thing I want to do it make it worse. I have been with her at multiple races with hundreds of kids and parents running around and cheering and clapping with no issues other than a little excitement bark when my daughter runs by.

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
It depends on the dog for me. It sounds like you are past the training thing and you are just bringing your dog to bring him for the pleasure of it.

Personally, I would bring him and let him interact with all the kids, if he is that kind of dog. I deal with people that are uncomfortable around my dog sometimes and I usually kill them with kindness. I know how my dog will react in the middle of a soccer team, and that reaction typically removes any discomfort parents have.

I also really don't care what people think of me and I don't need any more friends.... So you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It depends on the dog for me. It sounds like you are past the training thing and you are just bringing your dog to bring him for the pleasure of it.

Personally, I would bring him and let him interact with all the kids, if he is that kind of dog. I deal with people that are uncomfortable around my dog sometimes and I usually kill them with kindness. I know how my dog will react in the middle of a soccer team, and that reaction typically removes any discomfort parents have.

I also really don't care what people think of me and I don't need any more friends.... So you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt :)
Yes, it kills 3 birds for me. Takes care of kids activity, Trin gets her daily walk and sniff and I get my daily walk.
I am the same way in terms on not needing any more friends, I rarely hangout with other parents and stuff. Drop off the kids, walk Trin, pick them up and head back home.
I have offered to keep distance, lets see is that is enough.

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
937 Posts
I agree with @David Winners. If Trin is not causing any issues then why care what people think? Just give extra space if it makes those who are uncomfortable less nervous to be around her.
Edit: I just remembered something from a cross country meet about a month ago. There was this lab there that went BESERK every time someone walked or ran past it. It was at the end of his leash barking, growling and lunging at whoever passed it but the only remarks were “Oh! Someone is excited today! Can I pet him? Maybe that will help him relax” that was the first time I ever saw an aggressive lab and because labs have a reputation of being super friendly no one cared that he was lunging at people. But we all know that if that was a German Shepherd the owner would get comments like “You shouldn’t bring an aggressive dog to public places!” Unfortunately our breed gets a bad rep.

·
Registered
Vigo the GSD & Rooney the Mastiff mix
83 Posts
Omg my eyes are rolling. I hate some people so much. You’re right, it’s a legal activity for you and your dog. Keep doing it and let people learn a lesson of not being so judgmental (hopefully they’re not too dense to learn something)....
As for the muzzle, the majority of people don’t view that as a safety measure. They see a muzzled dog and automatically assume the dog is aggressive. They don’t think about how much the handler is in control and why the dog is muzzled. It wouldn’t help your intentions at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts