German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely in love with my GSD. Seriously. But lately I find myself missing and crying over the dog I lost back in September. He was a foster that I raised (bottle-fed) from two weeks old, and having him PTS was traumatic. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get over losing him, even though I have so much joy in my life...

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
No, it's not weird, it's called grieving. :(

I still sometimes cry when I think of my spaniel mix that I had to put down 7 years ago. He lived a good, long life with me, but it is still hard. Don't be hard on yourself, give your heart the time to heal.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I don't think it's weird at all :hugs:. September wasn't that long ago and you had a very strong bond with your dog. It'll probably always hurt, but it'll get better in time.

I still cry about the budgie I lost 6 years ago. The phone rang just as my mom was opening the backdoor(the phone always scared the birds), and he flew out the door never to be seen again. He was one of the sweetest budgies I ever had, and by now I've mourned him for longer than I owned him.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I still cry over my cocker that died traumatically 8 yrs ago. Try write down your feelings in a journal, sometimes that helps.
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think sometimes we are too busy surviving right after a loss that we don't really get to *miss* the one we lost.

I've spent more time in the past year thinking about Ash, who I lost back in 1997. Maybe because his grandson is so much like him and has brought me much of the same type of joy that Ash always brought.

I think you just have to let yourself miss him--and know that you will miss him for many years to come.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I still cry sometimes when I think of the Hooligans who are at the Bridge. Feb 2nd was the 17th year anniversary of Echo's death, and I cried off and on all day thinking about him.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I brought home Zeke so quickly after Levi died that I probably didn't let myself feel all the pain of losing him. He was my friend, and I just miss him sometimes. My vet was not surprised at all when I showed up with a puppy so soon after she helped Levi pass on. She said "Some people just need a dog around them all the time. You're one of those."

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had to put a cat to sleep over 1 year ago and sometimes at night I think he is going to jump up on the bed and curl up with me like he used to. Then I remember that he died and I have to roll over and go back to sleep. Usually my new cat jumps up just about then and curls up with me! It's almost as if she knows that I am thinking about Lefty!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I still miss my "first" GSD so much, she passed away in 2006. I think it gets better in that you might not think of them "as" much as you adapt to them not being there, not lying by your bed ect ect, but it still hurts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts