German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 week old over-sized white GSD. He has a great temperament (usually very quiet) but is becoming more playful and energetic the more he is with us. We have the luxury of being able to take him "out" several times throughout the day. When we first got him a week ago, we were taking him on 30-60 minute walks with breaks to get ice cream or say hi to passers-by. He would finish the walks still with a lot of energy.

Suddenly, he started to whine and refuse to move when we would venture outside - even for a walk around the block! We were worried we were over-exercising him, but now that we have cut back, the behavior still persists.

Given that it is in the high 80s right now, could it be possible that the pup is just too hot outside? We have noticed that this behavior is worse during the middle of the day (not as bad in the morning or at night). What do I do about this?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Puppies need to sleep alot. We didn't take Mia out until 4 months (when she had all of her shots) per our vet. Even then she would need to rest during our then 1/2 mile walks. Make sure if you walk on sidewalks that the pavement is not too hot. 80's are not bad here, but if you live in a humid area it may be too hot!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I think that for a 9 week old pup 30 to 60 minutes is too much. I was taking mine out at 3 months for 30 minutes. After a couple 30 minute walks, he refused to go out anymore. I cut it back to 15 minutes and he was much better. He is 6 months now and is doing 60 minute walks. I think that it may be too hot for him too. Try a short walk in the morning and a short walk in the evening. Maybe 10 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My vet and the breeder said to keep away from other dogs until after the 4 month vaccines too.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Maybe. I thought Jax was running away from me because she didn't want to go to agility. Turns out she didn't want to get into the car because it was hot. So, I roll the windows down and start the AC before taking her out.

It might be that he doesn't want to go out because it's no fun. Shorten the walks and let him play a bit more instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that for a 9 week old pup 30 to 60 minutes is too much. I was taking mine out at 3 months for 30 minutes. After a couple 30 minute walks, he refused to go out anymore. I cut it back to 15 minutes and he was much better. He is 6 months now and is doing 60 minute walks. I think that it may be too hot for him too. Try a short walk in the morning and a short walk in the evening. Maybe 10 minutes at a time.

I had thought so too, but he just has so much energy. Always running around like "mad dog" and biting and nipping and just can't sit still. He does have his sleepy moments, but they are few and far between when we cut the walks back to a shorter time. We try doing mental games to tire him out, but he will lose interest and go chew on the couch pillows. What are we doing wrong? Any suggestions? :(

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Sounds like a typical puppy. Do you have plenty of chew toys for him? Maybe a kong filled with treats. I throw a soft ball and I have a soft indoor frisbee that I throw for Wolfie in the house. He loves that. Can the puppy run around outside in your yard? A baby pool for the yard is also good in the heat.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If your puppy has the energy to keep going on walks, keep going. Nothing is worse than having a puppy bouncing off the walls with energy and no way to release it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lakota, 5 months old, definately doesn't like this heat. I can see just by the look on her face, she looks stressed, panting a lot. I only take them out at the crack of dawn during the summer. We took today off, no walk at all this morning, it was too hot & humid even at 6am.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Elvis is 10 weeks old now and the heat is way too much in Phoenix (it was 114 today :crazy:). I'm up at 5:30am taking short walks with him and then a 1/2 mile walk at around 9pm. Other than that, he sleeps alot during the day and plays with my kids and his toys. Remember, your 9 week old has short legs and you shouldn't be doing long walks with him until he's older.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts