German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am training my female (1.5 years) in OB & agility. I'm still a beginner myself having never titled a dog. I got two legs towards CD on my male, but he's in semi-retirement (long-story). Since I have limited training time - work full-time, DH, kids, life, etc. I decided to focus on one dog - my 1.5 year old female.

Anyway, my DD who is 8 likes to try to train also since she see's me doing it. She actually does pretty well, but DH keeps telling her to stop - "let mom do it". Am I better off with just me doing the OB training with Jayda, or is it okay that DD does it too at home? Will that be confusing to Jayda or will she understand the 8 year old does it for fun at home and mom does it "for real" in the ring?

I love that my DD has an interest in training the dogs, but if she does not do it correctly or doesn't follow-thru, that is my worry. If she asks Jayda to do something and Jayda doesn't, I'm afraid Jayda will learn she can get away with that.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi Sandy,
I too love to train. I recently lost my UD dog Achielles and I am just getting back into some serious training after a couple of really rough years (long story too).

I have a 9 yr old that is interested in training also. She is not good about listening to me
but does try her best. Instead of me letting her work with my trial dog (Axel at this time and Jinx to an extent) I let her work with the "demo" dogs (Breaca and Malfoy). She gets to learn some skills with a dog that I am not concerned about trialing and her "messing them up".

So, seeing as how your male is trained but in retirement, he might be an excellent candidate for her to learn with! I know my 9yr old does really well working with the little border collie that I had already mostly trained (at least to CD level, but not titled as not registered and I haven't taken the time to ILP her yet lol).

I also do think dogs understand context. If she only plays around with Jayda at home, it shouldn't have too much if any carry over to her training with you. BUT IMO to foster her love of training and not have to worry about your trial dog, let her work with your male. Great bonding time too

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's a great idea. My male knows all those basic commands - on our two legs, he got a 190.5 both times. So he's not bad at it. He's only 4 years old so still plenty young. I'll limit her to training him.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't know what method of training you do, but one of the best things I think you can have a child start doing is clicker training. It will really help her improve her timing and learn to read dogs really well. She can teach your boy some new tricks and not just the obed exercises

Have fun and keep us posted on how things go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts