German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear will be turning 4 months old soon and I just got a clicker. I was wondering if it is already to late to start training with it?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Absolutely not. I started my 10 year old Shih Tzu with a clicker. It's not old dogs that are set in their ways, it's old people.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I think it's perfect timing- I didn't start using it until Stosh was 5 mos, mostly because we had been through puppy then obedience class, he had his CGC and was getting bored. Worked great!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Perfect age!

Just make sure you read up on it and/or watch some videos explaining the philosophy. We don't have to be Rocket Scientists to train well with the clicker but it really makes a difference when and why and how much we click. To make the training really go fast and keep our pups engaged.

Shaping, positive reinforcement, no reinforcement, talking/praising (NOT talking actually :) ) type of treats, size, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
I took a 3 year old who was not into the dumbbell and taught it with a clicker - and the articles for tracking - all the way to Sch3 - so no, never too late to use a clicker!

Lee

·
Registered
85 Posts
I, personally, don't think it is ever too late to start using the clicker. Our Jethro was estimated between 1 and 1 1/2 when we got him from the shelter and we started using a clicker when we brought him home. He caught on easily and it was fairly clear he hadn't had any real 'training' at all in his life prior to our family.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
It's never to late to start training - that includes clicker training - do your homework - get into a group if possible:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have started using the clicker and its not going so well. He knows the command sit and thats it. When I try and work with him he seems as though he is not interested. After the first treat he just walks away. I dont know maybe you guys could point me in the right direction with some good advise. Thanks

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The clicker doesn't teach them what to do, it tells them "YES thats it" it's kind of like saying "good". I spent a lot of time reading about clicker training before I tried it with my dogs. Karen Pryor Clickertraining

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I understand that the clicker does not tell them what to do. I guess what I am asking is how to keep him interested and engaged.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
What kind of treats are you using?

Have you tried just clicking and tossing him a treat whenever he does something you like, such as make eye contact with you? Without actually giving him any command?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Yes I understand that the clicker does not tell them what to do. I guess what I am asking is how to keep him interested and engaged.

Get him way more hungry.

Use WAY better teeny yummie human treats (steak/chicken/cheese/etc.)

Click/treat WAY WAY WAY WAT more often. More clicks. More treats. More having your dog know he's a rocket scientist and always right.

Work on this 'trick'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now I am just using milk bones and just breaking them up it to small pieces. Its like after he gets his first treat thats it he's done.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Milkbones are NOT treats. You need a hungry dog. Real treats (watch the videos I put above so you see what I'm saying).

Did you 'load the clicker' before starting training?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
OK I will watch the videos. What do you mean by "load the clicker"? Thanks for all your help!!!
Watch the video above entitle 'How to MOTIVATE your dog to listen!!! it explains what a 'real' treat is as well as how to 'load the clicker.'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts