German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that since summer kicked in, my 11 months boy has not been eating well. First he stopped eating, then I changed the brand of his dry food, he's been eating but barely. NEVER finishes his food anymore. I decreased it a lot (from 5 cups to 2 cups), he barely finishes it. Like I said before, I've already taken him to the vet, his health is fine.

Could it be the heat? It's 65-80F / 18-26C here and my apartment hasn't got an AC. I'm getting a portable AC soon because the apartment is much too hot.

I heard that temperature has an effect on their appetite? That true?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
It certainly has been for my dog. We've had a very rapid transition from 60s and 70s to several weeks of 90F +, and my dog sometimes eats and sometimes doesn't. She's also much less active in the heat, so we've been exercising earlier and later in the day.

Reactions: Shooter

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
Have you tried feeding them raw? Mine never leave a morsel, no matter the temperature or the rain /wind. (i feed raw outside on the lawn)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It has been 93-97F here for about a week and a half now. We get no breaks. One of the dogs living in my house is having a lot of issues with eating, but thankfully my golden has been unaffected. The heat can do weird things to them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same issue but lack of interest in kibble has been ongoing. Every since our girl was 7 months, now 1.5years she hasn’t eaten consistently. She’s been on 4 different Foods all with and w/o some sort of supplement added. She eats every 4-5 days now so that’s her schedule and that’s with free feeding. In between time she gets raw bones and treats

·
Registered
493 Posts
I noticed that since summer kicked in, my 11 months boy has not been eating well. First he stopped eating, then I changed the brand of his dry food, he's been eating but barely. NEVER finishes his food anymore. I decreased it a lot (from 5 cups to 2 cups), he barely finishes it. Like I said before, I've already taken him to the vet, his health is fine.

Could it be the heat? It's 65-80F / 18-26C here and my apartment hasn't got an AC. I'm getting a portable AC soon because the apartment is much too hot.

I heard that temperature has an effect on their appetite? That true?
Absolutely, the heat will affect their appetite. I have seen it in Ranger as well as myself.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
The heat certainly does effect their appetite. Dry food can get boring also. Max is a food hound so when I noticed he finished his food but with not the same zest I added fresh food just to make it exciting. Luna is picky so adding fresh food prevents her from practicing any habit she has no problem with her food with an egg, yogurt fresh or dehydrated meat tossed in.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
It could be. My long haired big-boy's appetite decreases in the summer heat (except for treats). I add a few glops of canned dog food to his evening kibble and a bit of water. I do this year 'round. My vet said, "consider eating the exact same granola bar every meal every day". With his breakfast I add a boiled egg.

My stock coat girl's appetite has picked up, I think because with more daylight and nice days she is spending more time running around the yard.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Over the years I've had a couple that would slow down and/or go off their food in summer heat.......I always tried to feed the larger of two meals in the morning when it was cooler....I'd bet your apartment not having AC during the nights... would have a negative affect on morning feedings though....the proof for me always was when fall came and the temps were lower....the appetite came back.

I have two arthritic senior males now....one who's very picky...always has been....he's worse in summer heat....the other male.... would eat in a war zone inside a burning building....food is priority #1...always has been....hot or cold weather no difference

All these guys are different in many ways...appetite is one of those ways

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took my boy to the vets 2 days ago because he's not been himself. More sleepy than usual, chilled, not eating as much and therefore not pooping as much (but drinking a lot). He was just acting off. The vet checked him very very thoroughly and she said he's a picture of health. I would definitely say the heat has a part to play. We did just get central AC installed and he seems much more active again now

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your replies people! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It was so abrupt when he decided he wasn't into food anymore. Then I realised it started when summer started kicking in... Let's hope when it gets cooler our dogs will eat 'like dogs' again.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same issue but lack of interest in kibble has been ongoing. Every since our girl was 7 months, now 1.5years she hasn’t eaten consistently. She’s been on 4 different Foods all with and w/o some sort of supplement added. She eats every 4-5 days now so that’s her schedule and that’s with free feeding. In between time she gets raw bones and treats
She eats once every 4-5 days??

·
Registered
45 Posts
She eats once every 4-5 days??
Yep between 4-6 cups depending on how she feels. She gets 30 minutes of fetch time per day but it doesn’t increase her appetite. Tried free feeding her for a week and could here her stomach rumbling while a bowl full of food was out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts