German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I do. I think that dog breeding is really a business and in a business you make a profit.

I hate it when people say that if you make a profit, you're not a good breeder. It's like you absolutely must lose to be a good breeder.

Now, people love the breed but people can also love selling when in a company.

That's how I feel about it. It's unfair to classify anyone making a profit off breeding as a BYB or puppy mill.

You should be looking at what they're putting into the business and the quality of what they are producing.

Wel, if there's no profit in it (in either dog quality or money made) why do it?

The idea that making a monetary profit from breeding dogs is "wrong" is ludicrous. The idea that losing money by breeding dogs is "right" is equally ludicrous.

Profiting by deception is wrong, and losing money struggling to do something well is incompetence.

In the end, the best breeders profit by producing good dogs consistently enough so that people continually seek them out.

Jack

· Registered
72 Posts
Every business, be it a dog business or any other business, has to be about BOTH product quality and making money. You need both to succeed for the long term in any enterprise.

If a breeder is producing lousy dogs, he will soon be out of business. If a breeder hasn't enough dogs to keep afloat, he will likewise be out of business (or have to get a job to support himself). Yeah, a part-time breeder may have less dogs to deal with ... but if he's working 9-5 he likewise has very little time to work with them.

A full-time breeder may have 25-40 dogs (or more) but he also spends all his time out there with his dogs (and/or he has kennel hands available to do so).

A good breeder doesn't "just happen" to make money; he makes money because he has so ordered his operation (his kenneling system, his breeding stock, his feeding protocols, and his standards for excellence) to continually make money. He does this by continually producing excellent dogs, all the while cutting his mainentance costs. By cutting maintenance costs, I don't mean reducing the level of care, I mean learning how to be smart in one's expenditures. A truly professional breeder knows so much more about getting quality products in bulk, how to save money on medicines (literally pennies on the dollar), how to take care of his own dogs with competence (rather than running to the vet every time a dog gets a boo-boo), etc., etc.

This is the very definition of a professional breeding operation, with the rest of the halfway-decent breeders being merely "part-time enthusiasts."

Jack

· Registered
72 Posts
lets put it this way..would you want to lose money? from my understanding, you price your puppies to get your money back that you have into them. like you said, if you spend 6500 to 7000 on a breading and only have six pups then you price them to make enough money to be able to pay for the stud fee, pay for the shipping or other type of travel for the stud, puppy shots, vet checks, food etc. so yes you have to make a profit to further your breeding program or you'll go belly up.

Exactly.

The idea that losing money breeding dogs makes you "moral" ... and that making money breeding dogs makes you "immoral" is insane.

The truth is, losing money in your breeding efforts makes you incompetent; while making money in your breeding efforts means you have covered all your bases and have bred dogs that people with money actually want.

That is the truth about breeding dogs well ... versus "letting two dogs mate" without thinking of all the consequences.

Jack

PS: My little "jerkoff" emoticon that I put hurt some feelings I guess. It was meant as a joke. I guess people who breed "pets," instead of true working/performance animals, tend to get miffed easier about the truth than do more serious and realistic breeders.

· Registered
72 Posts
Breeding well bred dogs without maintaining a constant financial gain...does not make one "incompetent".....that would solely apply to those that breed as a "business" and continually be profitless.
Also...making a financial gain in one's breeding has nothing to do with the "quality" of dogs being bred....it can simply mean...the breeder has a great marketing scheme.
Investing money into a well planned litter...does not ever mean that there will be enough puppies born to offset the costs of the initial investment....
This would be the "perfect picture", ..however;..many times, litters consist of 1-3 puppies.
Breeding as a business...is completely different... than being a breeder.
JMO

My own bloodline generally produces small litters, so I understand what you say more than you know.

I don't know why people always argue one extreme versus another, this is crazy :crazy:

Anyone who loses money making a breeding had misfortune. Anyone who produces lousy animals by making a breeding likewise had misfortune and made poor choices.

By contrast, anyone who makes money breeding dogs had good fortune. Anyone who produces excellent animals in their breedings had good fortune and did a good job.

The worst breeders consistently lose money and consistently produce poor pups.

Foolish breeders who don't know what they're doing consistently lose money on their breedings. Unscrupulous breeders consistently make money producing pups without regard to quality.

The best breeders consistently make money by consistently producing superior animals.

If anyone disagrees with this, they have a thinking disorder.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.