German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ridley, our new puppy (almost 10 months old but new to us) is wonderful! He was raised in a kennel but has adapted to being a house dog in less than a week. No accidents, his manners are impecible and he mastered the stairs after a couple of scary days. I quickly taught him to platz and wait for his food and to platz and wait in the crate before I'll open it. The one thing that is a bit of a problem is his drinking habit! He drinks water with gusto and when he gets his last slurp he holds it in his mouth and proceeds to dribble it across the floor until his mouth is empty. It's kind of funny but it's also a huge mess! My floors are covered with towels and ugly throw rugs for now but I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out how to teach him better manners at the water bowl!

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think you will find this is a common complaint.
My Abby has always been a water dribbler. Ive
gotten used to stepping in her puddles around
the water bowl.

At least she has stopped standing in her water bowl
while eating.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you will find this is a common complaint.
My Abby has always been a water dribbler. Ive
gotten used to stepping in her puddles around
the water bowl.

At least she has stopped standing in her water bowl
while eating.
LOL, that must be a sight! Ridley is our 4th GSD and he's the first that makes this much mess. He's also drinking out of the toilet and this morning it looked like I had a plumbing problem because he had so much water on the floor!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
We're building a dog door into the garage... where they currently have a stainelss steel horse bucket. They can dribble and slosh all they want there!! :mad:;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have this issue as too, and taking a mouthful of food, going in front of the TV, dropping the food in front of the TV and then eating it...repeat.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Ridley, our new puppy (almost 10 months old but new to us) is wonderful! He was raised in a kennel but has adapted to being a house dog in less than a week. No accidents, his manners are impecible and he mastered the stairs after a couple of scary days. I quickly taught him to platz and wait for his food and to platz and wait in the crate before I'll open it. The one thing that is a bit of a problem is his drinking habit! He drinks water with gusto and when he gets his last slurp he holds it in his mouth and proceeds to dribble it across the floor until his mouth is empty. It's kind of funny but it's also a huge mess! My floors are covered with towels and ugly throw rugs for now but I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out how to teach him better manners at the water bowl!

Thanks!
That is what my cousins Rott does and I absolutely hate it! :mad:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're building a dog door into the garage... where they currently have a stainelss steel horse bucket. They can dribble and slosh all they want there!! :mad:;)
Unfortunately dog doors really aren't an option - but the water bowls are stainless steel horse buckets - we have 2 of them (one upstairs and one in the basement).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have this issue as too, and taking a mouthful of food, going in front of the TV, dropping the food in front of the TV and then eating it...repeat.
Fortunately eating is not a problem - he eats in his crate and he's in too much of a hurry to gobble it down to walk off with it even if he could!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts