German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill try and not make this a novel haha I have 2 GSD. 1 female who is 1 yrs old. one male who is 6 mo old. Their names are Ruby and Max. Now, Ruby has recently shown alot of avoidance when put in certain situations. It all started when she got attacked by 3 of my friends dogs, She was the only one on a leash and i had to literally kick the dogs off her. She had puncture wounds and was taken to the vet. Soon after i started her back into training classes Group Obediance classes and let her sit and watch on saturday mornings when other GSD's did Protection training and tracking. At first she would literally try and get under the tables, tail tucked in between her legs. And if the male trainer, Nelson came near her. LOL yeah... Growling, and not taking her eyes off of him... you could throw the biggest meatiest bone in front of her and she wasnt moving haha Now its not as bad, BUT when out and about, like at a toyota dealership waiting to get my car service done, outside, random people would come over and she is the type that will JUMP LICK AND LOVE all over you!! But just recently some internet guys came over to the house to install a new system, went outside, she was first in SUPER EXCITED MODE and then when he was walking she would smell near him, and if he moved semi quickly she was like on guard, ready to run away from him.

And then there's max haha LOVES ON EVERYONE and ANYTHING. He loves to bark at the bigger dogs though. When we would go to watch the protection training He would watch intently, at first everyone thought, HE wants to play with the tug!! haha Bring the dog out of the situation, and max would chase it and bite it, but the barking was all at the bigger, larger dogs. He doesnt bark at people though. When ruby was about his age, if the doorbell rang, or a knock on the door happenned, she was up and barking like, WHAT IS GOING ON. DONT MESS WITH US haha Max and ruby now just sit there listening.

I recently had my mom drive over, make noise and bang loudly on the door, and ring the door bell alot. Ruby got up, and when i said, who is that, ruby? She went over to the door, all alert, listening, racking her brain or something haha max laid there.

No barking. Now, at their ages, is that Good? Normal? I want to try them to bark on command. but that sounds like it might be a difficult task, to catch them barking, give them a treat and say good bark?! Is that how it would be done? I dunno.

Just wondering if thats a good thing.
Thanks for ANY responses!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sounds normal to me. but in answer to your title... yes... it is possible to have a GSD that isn't protective and is too nice.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
too nice? No. Not protective? Yes.

But I guess that depends on if you believe a dog can be too nice. Both of your dogs are still puppies though, so you can't expect or depend on them to be protective yet.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They're both just babies (well, puppies), so don't expect too much in terms of protection from them. They may look like adults because of their size, but their minds are not mature at all. Everyone and everything should be positive at that age.

Is there a reason you want them to be protective? Typically the site of two full grown german shepherds, no matter how nice and goofy they seem to you, are enough protection 99% of us will ever need. Would you start trouble with someone walking down the street that you didn't know with their two adult rottweilers? Same idea.

I wouldn't push the whole protective thing if I were you. If not trained properly, they can turn into a huge liability. Are you prepared for that?

If you ask me, you want your dogs to be as nice and friendly as possible. Let them think the world is a happy place and they have nothing to be afraid of or protective of. If the time ever comes and you are in trouble, two well socialized german shepherds might surprise you and be a little more protective than you think.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
too nice? No. Not protective? Yes.

But I guess that depends on if you believe a dog can be too nice. Both of your dogs are still puppies though, so you can't expect or depend on them to be protective yet.
I suppose they are only too nice if you want them to be less nice. My last dog was 'too' nice and I wouldn't have changed her for anything. Current dog is just right for my needs, not 'too' nice but not too aggressive either. ( I love it when a doorbell rings on TV and she goes to the door barking. )
Sounds like your Ruby had a traumatic experience and it will take a while for her to regain her confidence and trust. If she had it before she will probably bounce back. That's how it went with my dog.

·
2,967 Posts
They're both just babies (well, puppies), so don't expect too much in terms of protection from them. They may look like adults because of their size, but their minds are not mature at all. Everyone and everything should be positive at that age.

Is there a reason you want them to be protective? Typically the site of two full grown german shepherds, no matter how nice and goofy they seem to you, are enough protection 99% of us will ever need. Would you start trouble with someone walking down the street that you didn't know with their two adult rottweilers? Same idea.

I wouldn't push the whole protective thing if I were you. If not trained properly, they can turn into a huge liability. Are you prepared for that?

If you ask me, you want your dogs to be as nice and friendly as possible. Let them think the world is a happy place and they have nothing to be afraid of or protective of. If the time ever comes and you are in trouble, two well socialized german shepherds might surprise you and be a little more protective than you think.

I agree with this. I didn't start seeing concern from my male about strangers until he was much older and more mentally mature. About 2.5years. Shepherds to me, more than other breeds I have owned really do seem to "grow up".

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you for your input! I wanna clarify, that i am definately not pushing the whole protection thing! I absolutely LOVE that my dogs are so kind! Its easier with max, since he hasnt had an bad experiences and shows no fear or avoidance to anyone, which ruby can do at random times since she is in that awkward teenage stage and experienced the dog attack. (which i probably didnt help since i was so emotional after experiencing that) Before i moved back home to alabama, i was working max on a tug, and going to classes every Saturday morning with him, i know it takes time! I do, just wasnt sure if Ruby would end up ever being able to do Schutzhund, guess i secretely worry about the stupid things i shouldnt haha I just have never owned such a chill relaxed GSD before haha Ruby is the type that has so much energy and excitement when a person walks in the room that i can say Sitz and she will ALWAYS without fail grab a toy and run circles around me and the person, if she isnt jumping in excitement. I think she has ADD i swear haha Cause its opposite for max, he will get up and get excited but if i say sitz, he sits!, or Platz, he lays down, or bleib, and he stays. yeah ruby knows sitz, and i have to put my hand to the floor while saying platz, for her to go into a down position. ANYWAYS, im way off track! haha SORRY!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed! Max and Ruby...my kids love that cartoon :p
haha thats why Ruby was chosen, I actually wanted Riley (Got her near fort riley, ks) but noooo, husband wanted an excuse to buy his own german shepherd haha

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to say.... love the names LOL! is ruby always taking care of Max in your home too LOL!
HAHA They take care of each other. But more than anything, Max will always, without fail, have Ruby's back. If our friends dog came over (little thing at 2 yrs old), and he started to TRY to hump ruby.... hahaha Max was on him like "Leave her alone!" barking, putting his mouth GENTLY around his neck.
OR
more recently, Ruby decides to bark at the tree, or the air, or JUST TO BARK, he will be right behind her barking at whatever it is also haha

Its adorable. But ruby is a :censored:sometimes haha She can be completely happy with her toy on the other side of the room, if max grabs a toy, she will stop what she is doing, get up, and go get it from him haha He used to not put up a fight. But now every once and awhile, he will look at her with those eyes, show his teeth, and quietly growl, like, NOT TODAY! haha

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with this. I didn't start seeing concern from my male about strangers until he was much older and more mentally mature. About 2.5years. Shepherds to me, more than other breeds I have owned really do seem to "grow up".
Yeah i have noticed the length in the puppy years versus other breeds, and its longer! haha Its nice to sit back and watch them grow right along with my 5 yr old son haha

·
Registered
972 Posts
teaching bark is easy or speak if you wanna call it, you either wait untill they do on their own and when they do say whatever comand words you wanna use and give then a treat fast. otherwise get them riled up and playful, like hold a ball in your hand and act like your going to throw it over and over and usually that gets them excited enough to bark then give thema treat. my GSD leanred to speak from just watching my lab do it lol . they are so smart

1 - 14 of 14 Posts