German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, is it possible for dogs to not like certain breeds of dogs?

I am asking this question because I have noticed that recently my dog has been very irritable and sensitive when around certain breeds of dogs. Specifically dogs with a broad forehead and floppy ears. ie; pitbulls & labs . . .

We used to goto dog parks a lot, but stopped going because he constantly got attacked/bullied by unruly pitbulls.

Most recently, we let our dog meet our new friend's anatolian shepherd puppy (8months). Upon greeting the pup, my dog's hocks went up and the puppy was very tense. Long story short, my dog did NOT like this dog very much. We were able to have them walk together, and down next to each other peacefully, but they were unable to greet each other without a scuffle. Since anatolian shepherds physically resemble the dogs he dislikes (with the wide skull, floppy ears) . . . I was wondering if my dog was being overly defensive from his previous biases.

Just for good measure, we took our dog to a local petstore and let him greet a bunch of different dogs. He did fine with all the others, but I did notice him tense up when he met a female lab. So again, is it possible for dogs to not like certain dogs based solely on their appearance?

My dog is a 21month male White GSD, fixed.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My dog has yet to befriend a Boxer. He will tolerate them but quickly tries to ignore them and hasn't really clicked with any of them that we have met. I don't think it has anything to do with the apperance, but more so the unplaced energy, jumping all over him non-stop behaviour that they display.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
My dog has yet to befriend a Boxer. He will tolerate them but quickly tries to ignore them and hasn't really clicked with any of them that we have met. I don't think it has anything to do with the apperance, but more so the unplaced energy, jumping all over him non-stop behaviour that they display.
:eek: Sage's BFF is a boxer. Sage says Stark doesn't know what he's missin:tongue:

Sage does not respond well to extremely hyper dogs, so far that has been lab, husky, mini aussie that I remember. He is fine with ones that are normal..haven't met many of those

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Hahaha.. The ones here in the building that we have met are a little... okay, a lot spazzy. The second you get near them they are jumping in circles doing backflips (literally!) and Stark tends to ignore these dogs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand the indifference towards hyperness and mismatched energy levels. However, when my dog met my friends anatolian pup, the pup was pretty calm but tense..

weird thing though, my dog does get along with Boxers! *shrug

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It's possible. I know dogs who don't like certain breeds due to a bad experience or being attacked by a dog of those breeds.
I've had dogs who were the opposite-- they loved certain breeds/types of dogs. My Rat Terrier mix was indifferent to most dogs but he just LOVED small fluffy white dogs for some reason. We thought maybe he used to live with one or something (he was a stray so who knows.) My Golden loved other Goldens. If there was a group of dogs, she would invariably go to greet any other Goldens first.
After my Golden was attacked by a Border Collie, I made sure to work with her around a few friendly Borders to make sure she didn't develop a dislike or fear of them (which would have been bad since she was an agility dog!)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can I ask you a question, and answer honestly - do you dislike or feel anxious around pit bulls at all yourself? Because if you do, even a little bit, the dog will know, and pick up on it. So first address if that's potentially the problem, and if it's not (and I'm not saying it is, just that I've experienced it in dogs and horses) then work from there.

Remi doesn't like beagles. At all. If he sees one, he lunges and barks. I personally dislike beagles very much. No particular reason, I just really do not like them. I suspect that Remi senses this when one is near (thankfully, not often at all) and the whole thing is my doing.

Now - different scenario. A lot of dogs common as pets have broad heads and floppy ears like pits and labs. A LOT. So, it's my feeling with this that the issue isn't so much the dogs' appearances, but the attitudes of those particular dogs he didn't like. You mentioned he was "constantly attacked" by pitbull types at a dog park - so those dogs, and dogs with similar energy levels/attitudes combined with similar appearance make your dog nervous.

You, without realizing it, may be contributing by subconsciously getting anxious at the sight of pits or broad headed floppy eared dogs because you anticipate that there will be a problem when your dog sees them. So it's important to try and remain calm and cool and normal when approaching all dogs, to let yours know it's okay.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Titon hates Huskies. No idea why. Must be the jealousy of blue eyes even though his papa (me) has blue eyes. :p

I've also noticed that he doesn't like our neighbor's dog back in Colorado. I think he's some kind of American Bulldog or something but that's because the **** dog always ****s on our front lawn and Titon knows how pissed off I get at that dog barking all the time and annoying me.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if the pup saw your dogs "hocks" go up i can understand why he was nervous and you should have been nervous also seeing your dogs "hocks" go up.

i've wondered if dogs can like or dislike according to their breed.

Most recently, we let our dog meet our new friend's anatolian shepherd puppy (8months). Upon greeting the pup, my dog's hocks went up and the puppy was very tense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Can I ask you a question, and answer honestly - do you dislike or feel anxious around pit bulls at all yourself? Because if you do, even a little bit, the dog will know, and pick up on it. So first address if that's potentially the problem, and if it's not (and I'm not saying it is, just that I've experienced it in dogs and horses) then work from there.

Remi doesn't like beagles. At all. If he sees one, he lunges and barks. I personally dislike beagles very much. No particular reason, I just really do not like them. I suspect that Remi senses this when one is near (thankfully, not often at all) and the whole thing is my doing.

Now - different scenario. A lot of dogs common as pets have broad heads and floppy ears like pits and labs. A LOT. So, it's my feeling with this that the issue isn't so much the dogs' appearances, but the attitudes of those particular dogs he didn't like. You mentioned he was "constantly attacked" by pitbull types at a dog park - so those dogs, and dogs with similar energy levels/attitudes combined with similar appearance make your dog nervous.

You, without realizing it, may be contributing by subconsciously getting anxious at the sight of pits or broad headed floppy eared dogs because you anticipate that there will be a problem when your dog sees them. So it's important to try and remain calm and cool and normal when approaching all dogs, to let yours know it's okay.
Thanks for your detailed insight. I totally understand where you are coming from regarding negative energy coming from me. I'm not really fidgety and anxious whenever a pit bull walks near him. I've seen many well behaved pit bulls and some really bad ones. After seeing him get attacked for no reason by pit bulls, my respect for the breed has dropped immensely, but I think if anything his bad experiences with pit bulls probably overweigh my biases.

i think the last time he got attacked by a pit bull really messed with his mind. there was a fight at the dogpark between two unfixed males. my dog was just standing in the middle of the park looking from afar. then out of nowhere a pitbull charges at him and does a full mouth bite on my dog's neck, full aggression. scared the **** out of my dog because he didn't even see him coming. then 2 other pitbulls at the park get all riled up and start attacking my dog too! luckily, i have a gsd because he was actually able to fend for himself until all the irresponsible spoiled hipster pitbull owners got hold of their dogs.

if the pup saw your dogs "hocks" go up i can understand why he was nervous and you should have been nervous also seeing your dogs "hocks" go up.
yeah, it was really unusual to see my dog's hocks go up. i should have caught it and redirected him away. he's met hundreds of dogs, and not once have i seen his hocks go up upon meet & greet. when my dog first went over and sniffed he was fine, but when the pup tensed up thats when my dog's hocks started raising.

i would like to add a bit more detail to this though. the pup was my friend's first dog. they just got him from the shelter not even a month ago, and hes never been around any other dogs. they seemed a bit nervous when they released their dog to meet mine. i was wondering if this made their pup super tense & sent some weird signals to my dog ?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Our boy Riley is aggressive with Saint Bernards. When he was about 2 years old he was constantly attacked by a Saint at the dog park we went to. The dog knew my car and would make a beeline for Riley almost the instant we were in the park. She would literally target him. She was aggressive with a couple other dogs but Riley she tried to kill. No idea why as he never did anything to her. So if we're out anywhere and he see's a saint bernard the hackles go up, he's growling and lunging and get downright nasty with that i'm going to get you before you get me attitude. There is a saint bernard that lives two houses down from us so we literally have to go out the back door through the back gate for walks sometimes because they have their saint out front with them. So yeah its possible

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
they're hackles. hocks are on the leg. :crazy:

yeah, it was really unusual to see my dog's hocks go up. i should have caught it and redirected him away. he's met hundreds of dogs, and not once have i seen his hocks go up upon meet & greet. when my dog first went over and sniffed he was fine, but when the pup tensed up thats when my dog's hocks started raising.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I was going to say I'd like to see the hocks go up lol. The hock is the joint on the back leg that corresponds to our ankles.

BTW, are you sure the dogs were pit bulls? Or are you assuming by looks? Pit bull is a group of breeds, like saying shepherds. The american pit bull terrier is a type of pit bull, the way the GSD is a type of shepherd.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Masi does is not fond of golden retrievers and 'some' black dogs. The golden I associate with her having some negative experiences with one at a dog class, and that girl doesn't forget:)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
My dog has yet to befriend a Boxer.
After having owned boxers and other breeds, I think a lot of the problem lies with the boxer's lack of ears and tail. My one boxer had the most submissive personality ever but used to get beat up a lot for no reason (the other boxers had it coming, I understand lol).
After those experiences, I kind of object to modifying a dog's body... Not for cruelty reasons but I think it really messes with their behavior... I do enjoy the look of the cropped/docked dogs but wouldn't do it to my own dogs anymore.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Kacie and Onyx are reactive with the aussie/sheltie types. We have one next door that barks constantly and runs around 'herding' his people. They want at him in the worst way, so when they see a similar breed they zone in.

I use to work at a rescue and at adoption events every saturday there were about 100 dogs(crated) in the building.
Whenever the husky's were brought thru, the dogs in crates went nuts because of the body language and eyes of the husky.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yukon, who was taller than most dogs, HATED Great Danes ... I always felt it was because of their height more than anything else.

On the reverse end of the spectrum, Tex LOVED Belgian Sheepdogs ... whenever he saw one his heart went pitter-pat. He didn't respond to other black breeds, it was definitely a Belgian Sheepdog love.

·
Registered
470 Posts
All of my Shepherds have always disliked Huskies. Go figure. Whenever they spot one they turn into these aggressive maniacs. Even when I was in Obed. Class (which London LOVES), a new Huskie walks in and London begins to growl and then causes ALL the other dogs to growl. I felt so bad for that beautiful Huskie and her human mom. I apologized profusely, but she ended up attending a class at a different time. :(

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Kaiser has always had a major dislike for Boxers. Doesn't matter how they behave or whether they are male or female - he doesn't like them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts