German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new GS Mom to Leah. I have a Golden Retriever that is 15 weeks old on the raw diet ans supps, but I want to put the baby on it as well. I posted her story in the welcome section. She is 5 weeks old and totally off formula. I rescued her and her littermates at 3 days old. I started mixing raw hamburger into formula and baby cereal mush at 3 weeks...So now she is off the milk do you think it is ok to transition to totally raw, or are babies that are this young in need puppy food? I also worry that she is too thin, but I stopped the bottle because of their teeth and they just lost interest. Thanks

·
Registered
25,385 Posts
As long as you know what you are doing when feeding a raw diet, go for it. My pup has been on raw since weaning with no problems. I didn't start supplements til he was about 4 months old.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Breeders that feed raw, start their pups on raw. You can start out with some chicken wings. They are small and easy for them to handle. I saw a video posted on youtube that a breeder had posted of her 5 wk old litter devouring a whole chicken. I think it took them two days (refrigerated in between feedings), to eat most of it. Mom finished the rest. You can then move to chicken necks at about 8 wks, and chicken backs after 4 mos old. Keep in mind, that is the bone/meat portion of the diet. I would grind up the raw mix (organ,meat,bone,vegies) that you feed the older pup and feed that to the 5wk old.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I am a new GS Mom to Leah. I have a Golden Retriever that is 15 weeks old on the raw diet ans supps, but I want to put the baby on it as well. I posted her story in the welcome section. She is 5 weeks old and totally off formula. I rescued her and her littermates at 3 days old. I started mixing raw hamburger into formula and baby cereal mush at 3 weeks...So now she is off the milk do you think it is ok to transition to totally raw, or are babies that are this young in need puppy food? I also worry that she is too thin, but I stopped the bottle because of their teeth and they just lost interest. Thanks
I have weaned two litters of Chinese Crested directly to raw (starting at 4 weeks) and of those 8 puppies, 4 have NEVER eaten kibble and 2 are 1/2 raw and 1/2 high quality kibble.

Puppies eat the same as adults, they just eat more and the pieces start out smaller. :)

You want to provide ALOT of variety in a growing puppies diet. That helps to insure that they get all the nutrients they need. If you can't get alot of variety I would either add a basic multi-vitamin supplement (I use and recommend B-Naturals products) or I would feed the pup a high quality kibble until they are finished growing and then switch them to a limited variety raw (with a basic multi-vitamin supplement).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips!! I have done some research, and I really think she needs to be on the same diet as my other pup. When I started weaning they ate some hamburger, chicken, a bit of organ, banana, eggs, ect. But since not a lot of people feed raw I wanted the litter on puppy kibble. I have made, weighed and froze Leah some raw baby food...Adding more and more things to the bags. Some people when feeding raw like to balance per week but I do per day along with suppliments. I am now weaning her off the puppy kibble and havent noticed any loose stool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.