German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we shouldn't run our pups on leash, but is it ok to play fetch on grass? Of course she runs when retrieving the ball. She absolutely loves it, but I don't want to damage any joints.

Thanks.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Yes, it's fine.

Pups need to be pups and that means running and climbing and jumping and all those things. They shouldn't live in a bubble. Lack of exercise is just as unhealthy as over exercise.

The key is to let the pups self limit their exercise. Don't force them to do it. When they get tired, let them stop.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I will probably get flamed for this, but I think a lot of people are WAY too hung up on the whole exercise issue with puppies. (This is NOT directed at you Pryght.)

They are PUPPIES, they NEED to run and play.

I'm not saying folks should take them out and run them on pavement, nor should they force a puppy to exercise for hours on end on any type of surface. But let them be puppies. Not only is exercise GOOD for their bodies, it is good for their minds. (And YOUR sanity.)

My guess is if people in general would let their puppies get MORE exercise, we would have a LOT less posts about puppies doing "bad", obnoxious things. (Like barking, jumping, digging, biting, and just generally being little pains in the rear, especially in the house.)

If their bodies are SO fragile that you can't let a puppy BE a puppy, that is REALLY sad!

So to answer the origional question, YES, play fetch with your pup. Just use common sense and let her stop when (or before) she gets too tired.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I guess that is what I get for taking so long to formulate my reply. Chris beats me to it, before I can hit "submit".

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDI will probably get flamed for this, but I think a lot of people are WAY too hung up on the whole exercise issue with puppies. (This is NOT directed at you Pryght.)

They are PUPPIES, they NEED to run and play.

I'm not saying folks should take them out and run them on pavement, nor should they force a puppy to exercise for hours on end on any type of surface. But let them be puppies. Not only is exercise GOOD for their bodies, it is good for their minds. (And YOUR sanity.)

My guess is if people in general would let their puppies get MORE exercise, we would have a LOT less posts about puppies doing "bad", obnoxious things. (Like barking, jumping, digging, biting, and just generally being little pains in the rear, especially in the house.)

If their bodies are SO fragile that you can't let a puppy BE a puppy, that is REALLY sad!

So to answer the origional question, YES, play fetch with your pup. Just use common sense and let her stop when (or before) she gets too tired.
Happy bouncing running puppies become healthy happy active adults with good strong bones, joints and soft tissues.

As Tracy says: No hard surfaces. Don't push him. When he's tired, let him rest. He sets the pace. If he's like my pup (and every pup I've ever had), he'll play. He'll collapse on the grass. (Give him some a bit of water). He'll relax for about 5-10 mintues, then he's off again, like a thoroughbred at the Kentucky Derby.

My experience really is that most pups, once they realize that the ball or cuz isn't going to go away forever (let HIM bring the ball inside the house, into his crate if necessary, at least at first) are good about setting their own pace.

If you read my posts here, you'll see that I'm really conservative on most things. But when my 10 lb pup plays with my 85 lb GSD adult, SHE is the one that decides how they play. She, for the most part, initiates play. She stops when she's tired. Much of the time, they're zooming around, or wrestling. But often, I'll see them hanging out, lying in the shade together.

I trust my puppies' instincts. We have to watch them, of course, to make sure they don't overdo it, especially in the heat (or overexpose themselves in the cold). But they tend to self-regulate well. A puppy will do anything to keep up with his human. But if we don't put him that position, and he's just having fun and given positive outlets for his energy in situations that he can't hurt himself, he'll stop when he needs to.

But I give my pups a lot of latitude to be themselves:

Tiny pup zooming at top speed to catch running adult GSD:

Ha! I caught up to him!

Just climbing another mountain while hiking (Dh is right below her, outside the photo, in case she slips/falls.).

Crazy? Perhaps. I'll have to ask my 15 year old who still swims, hikes, and does agility (not *fast* agility, but she does it!) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts