German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kratos hasn't been home long but already I've noticed he's super whiny and loves to cry. Our breeder said he was the biggest cry baby out of the group and if you step on his toes the world ends dramatically. But he'll just sit there and look at you and whine and then BARK! (Not his big boy bark. No he saves that for the one cat).

I know he is teething as he's in full landshark mode, he's not eating much....well okay he eats it as long as its on the floor and not in the bowl. But its the wining both my husband and I are like 'WHAT IS WROOONG?" We're taking him to the vets next week for his updated shots and an over all health check. I don't actually think anything is wrong with him, because he drinks like a horse, is playful and affectionate. I just think he likes to whine for the sake of whining.

I just want to know if its normal for most puppies to whine? He's 11 weeks old and very affectionate, just watch for those teeth!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Some GSD puppies are very dramatic. Ok some grown up GSDs can be rather dramatic. I think they are very talkative and incredibly motivated to be with their humans and tell them how they feel.It is always a good idea to check your dog out medically to rule out any physical problems. I have a drama boy and two incredibly vocal girls. Our oldest GSD who passed away was also very talkative and pawy in otherwords if she wanted your attention she would whine bark or nose or paw you to get your attention. Kratos sounds like he wants you to know what he is thinking and feeling. He's just sharing. Some of that may change and lessen as he gets older . How long have you had him?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We recently got him on Friday night, so he's spent all weekend with us. I know the first couple of days we figured he'd be a bit upset with a change in his routine, no siblings/mom/grandma. So we expected him to be a bit whiny. But I've noticed like you said, if I'm doing something like on the pc, talking on the phone, he's more whiny and demands my attention.

Also his whine seems to increase if he has to go outside (which is great). Or is over tired, when he's over tired he's just plain b*tchy (no other way to explain it). Grumbling moaning groaning, whining, barking pawing biting and generally demanding that it is bed time. He does NOT like the early mornings. But that's good! I hate early mornings too lol.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
As smart as they are, it must be so frustrating to not have human words to tell us things. They do what they have to so they can communicate. :)

Scarlett is a paw-er, whiner and is otherwise quite verbal with us. She also can follow a conversation and chime in.

I love having a dog that I can carry on a conversation with, but sometimes the whiney tone even gets on my nerves. Your boy will figure out how to best communicate with you. I am sure some of the more experienced GSD owners have input too.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Whiny can be cute up to a point. Just like with whiny kids, if you ignore him then he will learn that whining doesn't produce any results. This may not eliminate his whining altogether but it should cut it down some.
However
If you enjoy his vocalness, then go ahead and talk right back to him.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I think it is part of what you said about how Kratos came home to you this past weekend and he may be missing his old routine, siblings as well as his mom. Gotta agree early cold mornings are not any fun. He actually sounds pretty smart. Cant wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We do enjoy most of his vocalizations (my goodness he has so MANY sounds and seems to come out with more and more!), except the whining. We feel whining should be reserved for "I need medical attention", sadness, or heck even "I really gotta GOOOOOOO lemme out." but certainly not everyday life.

As for his intelligence, he's very smart! He's learning his name, and is learning to come when called (though there's the cheeky grumble turn and walk away that happens once or twice). He also has only had 1 accident and that was totally my fault, I didn't realize what he wanted and whoops. I'm trying to get nice pictures but he likes to eat the camera/phone, or loses concentration.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
You are right - house training mistakes are all handler error! (They are). You will need to learn to snap that shutter more quickly! I'd love to see some pics.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have posted some pictures of him in the pictures area. They're showing his quirky character. We're going to snap a few on our walk tonight, gotta work on that socialization and the fear of cars that he has for some weird reason. They're loud I guess so they're scary. We ignore them and he's learning "well if mom and dad ignore them..then maybe I should."

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Just checked out your pictures. He is beautiful .Wait I'm sorry Kratos your very handsome.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! He gets a lot of positive attention when we go out. Everyone wants to meet him and says he's gorgeous. Thankfully he hasn't decided to land shark anyone else...yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts