German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if its normal for puppies to munch on leaves and dry barks that are falling from trees around this time of year? Can it be harmful? How do you give a puppy some roaming and running room without having it eat leaves and barks during Fall/Autumn?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would not leave the puppy out unsupervised. Bring out some chew toys to distract him/her when trying to chew things it should not.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
You can let it run and play leash free by throwing a ball or its toy for it, and if it gets distracted hopefully you will be close enough to start teaching the "leave it" or "out" command. Puppies are bad to try to chew rocks, sticks, anything they can get in thier mouths and yes some of these things can be harmful if swallowed. You just have to monitor them when they are outside and try to keep them from harms way.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have a extra long flexi leash for just this reason. There will be times when I want LuLu to be able to run around but I wont want to be "up her butt" about it, so the leash allows for 26 ft of roaming room. If she gets somewhere she shouldnt then I will be able to lock the leash and pull her back. I also have long training leashes (15 ft) but they arent retractable.

Also, depending on how small your puppy is, I have an X pen (actually I have 3) 2 for in the house and one for outside. This will help with where to potty etc. (clean up poo when your pup is inside napping etc.)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the problem is it's autumn so the yard is plastered with tiny little pieces, pieces of grass, and dry tree bark. She's always under my supervision and I never let her out of sight but the minute she's allowed to roam (to go potty or whatever), she goes to searching for tree bark (particularly, I dont know why) and starts munching on leaves and bark. I go up to her and say off and have to literally pry open her mouth and throw it out. Then a second later, more leaves and bark. Obviously doesn't happen indoors but outdoors where she likes to run around (even on leash) that's all she loves doing.
Maybe it will just go away as she ages...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pancake mine will chew on that sort of stuff as well. Anything she can put in her mouth.

On the plus side she is very used to me touching inside her mouth.
She doesn't like to give up her "treasures" but doesn't fight me to keep them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really feel for you in this. My puppy has been doing the same stuff, it is quite frustrating when all I want is for him to go potty. He literally eats everything outside, gobbles up dirt, grass, leafs. Though he does seem to leave rocks alone, so I guess that is a plus. But I am constantly saying leave it! and reaching down and prying his little mouth open to pull something out.

I was just hoping it was a stage and that with time and me telling him to leave it that he would grow out of it.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Leaves, bark, rocks, sticks, bugs, poop, fingers, toes etc. .etc......

Get used to digging out of your pup's mouth all sorts of objects. Your pup will out grow it...someday....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Normal, yes. Will the occasional leaf or bark hurt them? - Not necessarily. Just have to watch them carefully and make sure nothing sharp gets down the tube. Suki has swallowed pieces of mulch in the past and the end result is not always pretty.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yep. Gabe ate those when he was younger. He especially liked dirt...til he took a bite out of an anthill. He doesn't seem to like eating dirt anymore. Strange, that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Another one here with a pup that loves to eat everything she sees. Tess is notorious for doing this, she loves leaves, bark, mulch, etc., and my fingers are a mess from trying to pry things out of her mouth because she fights me all the way and gets mad at me when I win. :rolleyes: Just a little while ago, I bent down to see what she was trying to eat and it was rabbit droppings, which look a lot like her training bits that I've been giving to her. Now, I only train in the house where there are no distractions.

Tess has a temper when she doesn't get her way, she's such a willful little thing. I can't wait until she grows out of this stage. At times, like when she meets somebody new, she is the sweetest little thing and everyone just adores her, but I know better, the real Tess is hiding under that adorable facade and awaiting the chance to raise up those horns of hers.....:shocked:

I'd love to hear from people who have gone through this phase and at what age their pup outgrew it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I know, now where Grim likes to 'hunt' for pebbles, etc. so I head him off before he gets there and I don't let him start sniffing around those areas. However, leaves are an all new kind of fun! :)

I thought you re-homed your pup?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bark and mulch is a definite no bc it can splinter. Rocks can lodge in intestines etc. and cause a blockage. Grass and dirt are ok in my opinion for them to eat. I am positive my dog has ingested these items at some point during his puppy hood and he is still fine but that does not mean that these items do not pose any danger. So just keep up with the "leave it" or "off" commands and prying things out of their mouths any time they pick something up.

Consistency will pay off. In fact, just the other day my daughter dropped a candy corn on the floor and Yager (5.5 mos) went for it. I yelled "leave it" and he stopped probably not even an inch from getting it. My mother in law was so shocked that he listened like that. We originally taught that command with rocks and it has been invaluable. lol So just be consistent and it will pay off...eventually.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Liesl spends unsupervised time in our safe back yard, and will chew on sticks and small fireplace logss--oak and pecan. We've offered bones and other chew toys but she prefers the sticks. I'm sure she swallows some of it, but doesn't seem to be wholesale eating them. She's been doing this for almost 1 1/2 years now, with no ill effects, so I guess it is alright.

·
Registered
476 Posts
... I am constantly saying leave it! and reaching down and prying his little mouth open to pull something out.

I was just hoping it was a stage and that with time and me telling him to leave it that he would grow out of it.
Yes, that is exactly what I did with my puppy, though he was going after nice toxic mold riddled pecans. I'd say 'out' and if he didn't drop it right then, I'd go fishing for it. Once he figured out he could stop me by dropping what he had (AND he'd get a treat), we were golden. He's now 1yr. old and has the best 'out' command ever. Seriously, he will drop treats, toys, cat poop, anything.

I didn't find it useful to teach 'leave it', though. That I had to teach using the food in your fist trick. For us, 'leave it' means to not pick it up in the first place, to turn away from it and leave it alone.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I didn't find it useful to teach 'leave it', though. That I had to teach using the food in your fist trick. For us, 'leave it' means to not pick it up in the first place, to turn away from it and leave it alone.
This was EXTREMELY useful for us, especially with the cats.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, that is exactly what I did with my puppy, though he was going after nice toxic mold riddled pecans. I'd say 'out' and if he didn't drop it right then, I'd go fishing for it. Once he figured out he could stop me by dropping what he had (AND he'd get a treat), we were golden. He's now 1yr. old and has the best 'out' command ever. Seriously, he will drop treats, toys, cat poop, anything.

Haha good call on the leave it before it happens. Hard to enforce every second though. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.. i guess theyll have to outgrow it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I walk my backyard regularly to check for things but my little girl seems to beeline to whatever i didnt find and she is smart now,smarter than me for a bit, lol, knows I don't want her to have it so she sprints w it, realized very quickly was creating a game of chase and she was thrilled, so keep a squeaky she likes in my hand when we go out to divert her but she does prob now think her name is no! leave it! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, once he got the idea, practice for 'leave it' was all about the cats and as constant as 'out' was outside. Too bad mine is great about leaving the cats alone only if you see him and say 'leave it'. Otherwise, he just loves playing with them too much. It's made worse by the one cat that eggs him on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts