German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it odd that German shepherds are the #2 most popular dog in the US, yet there are SO many people that are horrified of them.

It makes no sense to me. :crazy:

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
i always say that "where are all these GSDs?" Paige was the ONLY one in this city for years!

·
Registered
782 Posts
yeah i have only seen ONE ever walked in or around my neighborhood. I have only seen a handful ever at petsmart...

its like where's waldo!

ETA:
But if you look on petfinder they have a rediculous amount of dogs listed as GSDs...and not even mixes. So if people are listing the wrong dog breeds in whatever way they count them up this could be a real factor. I love the APBTs with tall ears getting listed as GSDs. I am like well...as cute as he/she is...that is NOT a GSD! lol!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Most people who are "horrified" of GSDs tell me it's because they were either attacked by one or because they look so intimidating.

My mom loved Klaus as much as we did and trusted him implicitly, but when she first met Max, she wasn't too sure about him. The more she visits, though, the more comfortable she is around him. And it's not because he acts nervous or aggressive, it's simply because of his appearance.

Really, how can you be afraid of a mug like this:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I think it may depend on where you live as to how many GSD's you see. I live in Denver, and if you go to the parks here you will see a LOT of them, they are very popular. Not as popular as the retrievers, but popular enough. I think there are many places in the country where they are used as guard dogs - chained out in the backyard by people who aren't inclined to take them for walks. Thousands are dumped in shelters every year, which is why people involved in rescue shudder when they hear that they are #2 on the AKC list - they know that the numbers will only go up.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
unfortunately i think the reason you probably don't see many gsd's out in public nowdays is because there are alot of genetic behaviors that are liabilities for many owners, even if they have socialized and trained i am seeing more and more fearful, nervous gsd's i think its a darn shame this is happening, its NOT the way the breed is supposed to be and its sad this reflects the breed in general.....

some breeders are in denial about what they are breeding and alot of times its easier to blame the inviroment rather than admit that they may have not put time and plenty of research into their breeding programs......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah I don't get it either. I also see very few GSDs here in Chicago. In fact I had a post about this a while ago because I was curious if maybe most GSD owners just don't take their dogs in public since they are supposedly the second most popular breed here in Chicago as well.

Whenever I take Bianca places people often act surprised that she is "well behaved" or "friendly" I guess they expect a GSD to be a vicious guard dog or something. :confused:

Hey Konotashi if you do get a Panda I bet you will have less people acting afraid than with a black or black/tan GSD... I have noticed that less people are afraid of the long coats also. When I was fostering a long-coated GSD a LOT more people came up to us (also a lot of people would say how pretty he was) than with Bianca even though Bianca is really friendly.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
They are number two on the AKC list, but if you subscribe to dog world, or dog fancy, it looks like they are less popular than boxers, beagles, yorkies, tervs, rotties. (Yes, I do not want to bother to try and spell all of those names.)

People are afraid of them with good reason. People do not mention to everyone they meet how they were treated wonderful by a GSD, but they sure do if they get bitten, growled at, snapped at, nipped, herded, etc etc. A lot of these "bites" never even broke the skin or caused bruising, but people are scared, because this is a dog that CAN cause serious pain. It is really too bad.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
They are extremely popular here in Southern California, in fact there are at least 5 on my street which is a rural area and heavily populated with Coyotes, so most of us have them for protection as well as pets, I take Gavin out and about every weekend and I have to say the response to him is overwhelmingly positive, he is like a rock star, prople just come up to him wherever we are whether it's Petco, Petsmart or the ball fields to pet him and talk about him, the guys at Petco absolutely love him and spoil him to death with goodies. I have just as many seniors as young people asking to pet him. Gavin eats it all up as he loves everything and everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts