German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a rescue and all... but if they have had this dog, or it was being boarded for 4 months.... why can i see alot of ribs?, and when the dog stood up, i could have sworn i saw bones stick out near her hips?!??!?!?! For a 3 yr old female.... she shouldnt look like this. They should be working on getting her healthy first. She looks like she needs some good eaten and lots of lovin! poor liliana!<3

·
Registered
686 Posts
Stress will do that to a dog. Once she gets into a good stable home environment she may be able to put some weight on. Provided no health issues of course!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Stress alone can do that.... hmm. I mean ive heard of that, but.... never seen a dog who was stressed and looked so skinny! :[ Poor liliana!

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I got Birbo (my rescue GSD) he was 67lbs and very bony. I knew he was fed as much as he would eat. But, he was very stressed at the time (poor guy, went through 3 homes before me, and was only 18 months old). I have had him for about 7 months now. He has had a full blood workup, hip rads (good), and gets regular chiropractic adjustments (because my dogs play hard, and you can never be too careful with those long backs). He is healthy, he weighs 83lbs. He is still on the thin side. Even now, if something is off in his routine he may not eat well. . .

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gorgeous girl BTW! Hope she finds an excellent home!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Long term boarding can be very stressful, so I'm not surprised by her weight. We have people call us to board their dogs all the time for long term (more than 3 weeks) and think they should get a really big discount for the long term. While I agree from a business standpoint, I explain to them the MOST dogs do not get easier the longer they are with us. There is a point (at about 4 weeks) where they start to backslide and develop behavior issues. It takes a lot more work and time to keep them in good weight and attitude.
Liliana looks like an absolute sweety and I hope she gets a great home.

·
Registered
686 Posts
OOPs Bo was 14 months when I got him!:eek:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Beautiful girl who needs a good home.

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
Some young sheps are thin. When rescued she may have been emaciated, and they may be doing their best to put weight on her. A dog that is at its ideal weight and suffers an illness will often lose weight and look awful.

Yes, she is thin, I see ribs, backbone and hips. I agree that stress can be the problem. Even if they eat well under stress, they may develop loose stools and lose too much of the nutrients that should have been sucked out in the process of digestion.

Or she can have medical problems that have not been diagnosed yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts