German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GSD mix is 16 months, and the last 2 days first thing in the morning she has pooped on the rug by the door that she goes out for potty. She hasn't had accidents in a very long time. Nothing has changed in the household or food wise. She hasn't been listening as good as she used to so I have been doing more training more often. Could it just be behavioral? Or do you think a vet visit is in order? She just had all her shots and annual 1 month or so ago and the vet didn't find anything wrong.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Uh yikes.... when was the last time she had an accident inside? Sounds like perhaps this dog isn't house trained still. You might need to go back to step one. How did you originally try to potty train her? Shepherds are usually very smart about this, once mine have been potty trained they have never had an accident inside again, not even when they were dying. What's the mix part? Some breeds are notoriously difficult to house train.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
While my puppy is much younger - as soon as he's out of his crate in the morning I get him right outside. No dilly dallying around or he could have a accident after holding it all night.

Another thought - has his dinner routine changed? Maybe take him outside one last time later than you are now.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Another thought....could something have happened in that particular spot that compels him to mark it?It could even be something that was spilled or brought in on the sole of a shoe.My dogs will eliminate on and around a spot where I found a dead bird the day before for instance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh yikes.... when was the last time she had an accident inside? Sounds like perhaps this dog isn't house trained still. You might need to go back to step one. How did you originally try to potty train her? Shepherds are usually very smart about this, once mine have been potty trained they have never had an accident inside again, not even when they were dying. What's the mix part? Some breeds are notoriously difficult to house train.
I was told Dutch Shepherd, but I did a post on here and a lot of people think she looks pit mixed. So I do not really know. All I know is the dad is GSD. She hasn't had an accident since she was 6 or 7 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thought....could something have happened in that particular spot that compels him to mark it?It could even be something that was spilled or brought in on the sole of a shoe.My dogs will eliminate on and around a spot where I found a dead bird the day before for instance.
One of my cats had a seizure (we think) and had an accident. When I was carrying out the bed she peed on it could have dripped I guess but I scrubbed the floor and it would be in other spots too. But that is a possibility!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While my puppy is much younger - as soon as he's out of his crate in the morning I get him right outside. No dilly dallying around or he could have a accident after holding it all night.

Another thought - has his dinner routine changed? Maybe take him outside one last time later than you are now.
She usually doesn't get up until 30 minutes to an hour after I do, she has always been that way, and I always take her out before we go to bed. She doesn't sleep in a kennel and free feeds. Always has because she never eats all her food at once so when it would be time to give her more there would still be food in the bowl. I'm just so confused! I will have to try letting her out asap in the morning, make her get up when I do and go out.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
As Courtney said it's a good idea to hustle him out first thing and try to break the habit.Maybe even cover that spot last thing at night with a paper towel with something on it he doesn't like.My dogs hate lemon juice and pepper,lol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As Courtney said it's a good idea to hustle him out first thing and try to break the habit.Maybe even cover that spot last thing at night with a paper towel with something on it he doesn't like.My dogs hate lemon juice and pepper,lol!
I will definitely get her out right away to try and stop this, and try the lemon juice also!

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
And, go out with her until she relieves herself...

In the meantime, you will figure out "why" and it will then seem obvious... Also, I would stop free feeding.

·
Registered
11,302 Posts
If she was loose in the house at night and pooped at the regular exit door, to me that means that she would have gone out if the door was open. This would mean that she didn't forget housebreaking but there could be another issue. It seems to me that it is a behavior change which, according to our last week, is a reason for a vet visit.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Since you increased her training and if the poops look the same as usual & she pooped by the door, I also see it as there just wasn't anyone there to let her out. Chances are her potty schedule is changing to the new routine. she may be increasing her eating a little also if she is free feeding which could cause the need to go a little sooner.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Back to basic potty training! Mine has been good since 8 months (took him a while to not have accidents) and the last accident was when he was 11 months old, completely my fault because I had left him for more than 12 hours because my plane was delayed. In your case, I would now try to limit the water intake 2 hours BEFORE bed time, and THEN take him once more extra. In the morning, I would set up an alarm, say 5.30am just for the dog to go potty. When she's back on track, you can relax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts