German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been wondering about (somewhat prematurely) for a while. Haven is only 8 months right now so we've still got a little while to go. I know that as puppies, they need to be on large breed puppy food or else they might grow too fast (she's on Acana Large Breed Puppy and has been for a few months). I've heard that at 12 months they can be switched over to an adult dog food, which I'm planning to do. But I'm wondering, when a GSD is an adult, are there actually benefits to feeding a food specifically for large breed adults? When she's 12 months, I'm not sure if I can feed her any adult dog food or if it needs to be large breed. Can anyone give me some more information on this? Thanks in advance :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never fed my dogs puppy food or large breed adult food. in the wild
do they get puppy food or large breed adult food?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Absolutely not, just a high quality food and glucosamine supplements wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sometimes, the kibble in large breed food is larger which is better for the dog to break dog in his mouth. They also tend to add supplements for joints, but it is probably more of a marketing strategy than something that will impact your dog's health.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I would not feed "puppy" food but would a all stages food or large breed. Which I did when my boy was a pup & on kibble (Innova Large Breed).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts