German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My GSD is 10 1/2 months old and is a very affectionate and friendly pup. However, he is getting quite large 75+ lbs and every now and again (a few times a week) he gets into this ridiculous mood of wagging his tail, running in circles and playfully growling at me. Is this normal? If so, what do I do to correct it? I've been having him drag a soft leash around so when he demonstrates a behavior I want to correct I can grab him quickly. Other than that what should I do? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sounds like the zoomies...energy that just has to come out! Nothing to correct just manage. Stosh gets the zoomies in the evening so we play tug, do doggie sit ups [sit, down, sit, down], play games, etc. He settles down with a peanut butter stuffed Kong or a bully stick.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
NO CORRECTIONS for happiness and joy! It's a good thing.

I'd just make sure I was calm and not adding to the crazy....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know it's odd to see a large dog doing that, but he really is still just a puppy. He'll do that until he is three years-old or so. Mine is almost three and he is a maniac. Fun-loving, happy boy.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My dog does that too. She is asking to be chased. So we WOOF at her and she runs like a crazy puppy (she's full grown). Then she comes back and asks for more. We do this several times and she eventually burns off some steam and settles down. It is amazing how a big dog can tear-ass around the house and not bump into anything.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Same here each night we get woofed at then the running in circles begin a little tug of war and all is calm again

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
check out you tube "german shepherd zoomies" and see how normal this is!:)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Oh, my gosh! Dexter does it, too. Thankfully, it's outside in the back yard. Sometimes he does it late at night just before I put him in his crate. He zig-zags through trees and I often do the "woof" thing and lunge at him, and he just goes insane. Never growls, though. I figure after one of these sessions, he sleeps really well. Four-year-old Luke doesn't get it. He never zoomed.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Yes, play-growling is okay! I always growled back at my mixed breed when she got the zoomies. She still does it at seven years of age, and I hope she never stops being happy and playful.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, thank you everyone. He's such a sweet and loving dog, that when he does these things I'm never sure how to react. I've recently just been ignoring him when he's zooming on my bed in circles. He then realizes he doesn't have an audience and stops. It's just that he's so big!! And that tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tim does his zoomies in the house if we couldn't play enough outside. Its crazy...like the velodrome. He literally runs off the walls. My teenage boys laughing just make him go that much faster. All I can say is "cover your head" till its over!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts