German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on whether it is better for a puppy to have another puppy or dog in the home with them or if they do better by themselves, because I have been hearing a lot that it is better to have 2 dogs than one and even more when you have a puppy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For our family we've always had multiple dogs, except the year both of ours passed within months. I like that they can snuggle together and play together. That being said I don't leave them in the house together out...I would have nothing left.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
It depends on the other dog. :) I think dogs adjust to their pack, whether it is with all humans or a mix of other animals.

·
Registered
936 Posts
We have had two and one, both worked. When we had two they played alot together. When we had one, we were the training/play friend, etc and that is kind of fun too! We will only have one for at least a year and half and then we are going to add #2 opposite sex. They do not always keep each other ocmpany. Many times they would go off and do their own things in the house and have completely opposite schedules for napping, etc.

Generally I would not do two puppies at once as I like my sanity and trying to give appropriate seperate time to training socialization, etc would be the thing t osend me over the edge! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinions. I was asking because I have been talking to a trainer to start puppy classes and he thinks for my puppy it would be better for her to have another dog living with her to help her get socialized and teach her bite inhibition because we think something went wrong with her and her relationship with her mom and littermates, such as not getting proper interaction with them.

·
2,967 Posts
Thanks for your opinions. I was asking because I have been talking to a trainer to start puppy classes and he thinks for my puppy it would be better for her to have another dog living with her to help her get socialized and teach her bite inhibition because we think something went wrong with her and her relationship with her mom and littermates, such as not getting proper interaction with them.
You can't count on another dog teaching your puppy these things. Some dogs are good at it, and some dogs are not. I have one that ignores it completely and pretty much never tells the puppy to stop. I have another one that will overreact. And one that is very good at appropriately teaching the puppy.

You can teach her bite inhibition. You may need to rethink the way you let her approach her world, but she can be taught and shouldn't need another dog to do it.

As far it's all concerned...I am not a believer in having 2 dogs together all the time. I think it stunts their ability to create human relationships. So if you got the second dog, they would probably need to be separated a fair amount of time and the new dog would need a lot of individual time as well. I say focus on what you have and see if your can find someone who has a dogs that is good with puppies for play dates to teach her lessons.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You can't count on another dog teaching your puppy these things. Some dogs are good at it, and some dogs are not. I have one that ignores it completely and pretty much never tells the puppy to stop. I have another one that will overreact. And one that is very good at appropriately teaching the puppy.

You can teach her bite inhibition. You may need to rethink the way you let her approach her world, but she can be taught and shouldn't need another dog to do it.

As far it's all concerned...I am not a believer in having 2 dogs together all the time. I think it stunts their ability to create human relationships. So if you got the second dog, they would probably need to be separated a fair amount of time and the new dog would need a lot of individual time as well. I say focus on what you have and see if your can find someone who has a dogs that is good with puppies for play dates to teach her lessons.
I second this entire post!! :happyboogie:puppy class alone will help with doggie socialization and then find some friends to puppy play date with. Bite inhibition you can work on. It is important that there is human bonding right now and another pup will not accomplish that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the trainer of the puppy class that I am going to take her to as soon as she gets her last vac. that told me about the other dog so now I am confused. I think I will take some more time to work with her and start the classes before I try getting another dog, But her biting problem is bad and absolutely not in the normal range. We can't even pet her without her biting , (not nipping) full out biting and she gets exercise, has lots of toys and bones and I have tried everything that has always worked with my other dogs and my kids are getting scared of her and they have never been scared of other dogs, even huge ones and I want them to get along and be friends like I always was with my dogs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have also had multiple dogs with me in fact there has never been a time when I have only had one dog, yes they can play sleep and grow together I have also found that they often learn things quicker with other dogs in the house and the bonus is I can leave them all together having the run of the house when I am out and up until now I have never returned to any disasters "SO FAR"

·
2,967 Posts
Shepherd puppies are rough when they play and are not known for their soft mouths. It takes time and consistancy to teach them to be gentle. Admittedly some are worse than others. Anka was rotten and drew blood on just about every member of the family by the time she was 12 weeks.

This is Argos @6ish months swallowing an adult boxer at the park.

This is Anka, 9 weeks latched onto Argos.

More recently this is Tag 5 months latched onto Cade.

Not one of these older dogs, stopped the puppy. I had to do it.

You may want to consider limiting the kid's interaction with the puppy until you can start to get it under control. Things like jerking their hands away can actually encourage continued biting. Fast quick movement that kids do can also encourage biting. Also, some dogs don't particularly like to be pet. I realize that sounds weird, but that was Anka. She never wanted to be pet. Giving her affection usually resulted in blood somewhere. She wanted to PLAY. ALL the time. With her mouth. We taught her to go to toys, and would also issue corrections for biting flesh. It does work. And now as an adult she's fabulous and has learned to control herself. t takes time and consistancy, and sometimes kids are not able to manage that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What corrections did you use because I would love more suggestions before this gets so far that she will have to go. Because I can't risk her seriously hurting my 16 mon. old son, who by the way could crawl all over my parents mastiff mix and take his toys from his mouth with no problem from the dog.

·
2,967 Posts
What corrections did you use because I would love more suggestions before this gets so far that she will have to go. Because I can't risk her seriously hurting my 16 mon. old son, who by the way could crawl all over my parents mastiff mix and take his toys from his mouth with no problem from the dog.

It's hard to say. It has to be appropriate to your puppy, and puppies are individuals. It has to be enough to stop the behavior, but not enough that you make your puppy fearful of you. So something I would do to my puppy might not be appropriate to your puppy and vice versa. Some things I have used are time outs, shaker cans, leash corrections, bitter apple sprayed in the mouth, scruff shakes, pinching their gums under their teeth, etc. The important part is, that immediately after the correction, you present the appropriate toy and PLAY with it.

I have to say, I would NOT let my 16 month old child out with a puppy. Sure, some puppies are naturally gentle. You apparently do not have one of them. I would keep them separated, until the puppy is older and has learned (which takes months...not days). Expecting this puppy to behave around a toddler seems pretty unrealistic to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is absolutely not unrealistic because I have had other dogs and puppies that were great with babies and so have my friends, if my baby already knows how to treat a puppy the puppy can do the same. Dogs are not retards and she has already proven that she can learn quickly with other things such as sit and lay down so she can learn not to bite also and I have never heard of a dog needing months to learn anything. I got on here thinking that people on here actually wanted to help other people with their dogs and share their experience but I guess your just a bunch of know it alls that don't really know anything. And I am willing to bet that you don't even have kids.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
WOW.

I thought the suggestions so far were pretty helpful.

I think the OP needs help for themself before they can help the dog...

I had some pretty good advice and how my young pups are with eachother and my 3 year old son, what I would do differently and what I am glad that I did, but forget that...

·
Registered
691 Posts
WOW! That was a bit harsh??

I am a mother of 4, ages 6-10, and have owned VARIOUS breeds of dogs. This is my FIRST GSD. Please don't discredit the advice these members are trying to give you, as many have owned, raised, and bred GSD's for YEARS and know EXACTLY what they are talking about and can give you some GREAT advice.

So let me give you my take and what I have learned. This breed are simply MOUTHY dogs. My pup is 10 months old, and still mouths, just not las rough she did when she was younger. Mouthing is their way of touching you. You know how babies like to touch EVERYTHING?? GSD puppies can be the same way. And YES, it does take MONTHS or even longer to break them out of this. I'm sure you're child is not retarded either, but how many times does she go back and TOUCH the same thing after you've told her repeatedly not to?? This is the way you need to look at it. I taught my pup at 15 weeks to sit, stay, down, shake, and play dead within a week. But at 10 months, she still mouths...its NOT the same thing!

As far as corrections, I give a firm "Aaah!" It has worked better than any "no" or other command I've tried to use. I think it has something to do with the inflection in my voice when I use it. And you have to be consistent. I used this with her jumping on or mouthing the kids CONSISTENTLY, and she will now stop as soon as its said. But puppies are puppies, just like kids are kids, and there are some things that you just HAVE to let them grow out of. All breeds of dogs are different, but GSD's are known for certain things, and mouthing just happens to be one of them.

Finally, you will never learn anything in life unless you can consider all advice given. Take what people tell you and research it, if you think they might be wrong. But just flat out insulting people after asking them for their advice or help is just flat out WRONG.

·
2,967 Posts
Look I understand that you are upset. But I think you need to look at what was said.

You said that your puppy is an extremely mouthy puppy- well out of the normal range. What I am trying to say is that what seems abnormal to you, may in fact be perfectly normal for a GSD puppy. They are rough. Regardless, it is too much mouthing for you and your family.

If I had a very mouthy puppy I would not let it near my child until it had learned to control itself. NOT because the puppy is unable to learn to control itself, but rather because I will not chance my child until I am sure that the puppy has learned to control itself. Only when my puppy is 100% mouth free on me, will I feel comfortable letting that puppy around a small child. This is not a comment on the puppy. Or a comment on the child. This is just straight up safety. And yes there are dogs that interact well with children from Day 1. But if I had a puppy with an extreme mouthing problem I would not let it interact with my child because I would my child's safety first. All it takes is one overexcited bite and the baby is bleeding. I do not wish this on anyone and have seen too many toddlers mauled in the news lately to not have a concern for the child.

Also you need to understand that you are changing the way that your dog interacts with people and moving away from instinct. Instinct tells a dog to bite to solicit play. This is not a simple behavior like sit or down. It does take time. And knowing that mouthing is a normal behavior that takes time to learn not to do will help you to not get frustrated. I think you can reasonably ask anyone who had a strongly mouthing dog...how long before it got better?? And I think they will tell you it took months. Sometimes you don't see relief until teething is done which doesn't occur until about 6 months. That's not meant to be mean. It's to tell you that you might have a long road ahead and to be patient and above all, please put your child's safety first. Can you get it done faster? Maybe. It depends on you, your timing, and your individual puppy. And then you are going to have to introduce your children into the lessons in a very controlled way once the puppy is primed for these interactions. Before that though you run the risk of the kids inadvertently teaching the puppy the wrong things, and then you're going to be doing the 2 steps forward, 2 steps back thing.

Management is going to be what gets you through those rough puppy months. Not another dog.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I COMPLETELY disagree with getting another dog for that reason. Much better to spend your time and money on your current puppy than add another to the mix.

You can easily 'use' the other pups in your class for this. Make playdates outside of class if play isn't allowed during the training.

And WE have to teach them the bite inhibition with humans. Letting them bite other pups/dogs in play isn't necessarily going to cross over cause they have tougher skin and fur to soften the puppy biting. Our naked skin is much more delicate so we have to teach them how to play with humans.

Did you see this thread? http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/134407-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

But her biting problem is bad and absolutely not in the normal range. We can't even pet her without her biting , (not nipping) full out biting and she gets exercise, has lots of toys and bones and I have tried everything that has always worked with my other dogs
Just want to add, you aren't going crazy... GSD's can be WAY more mouthy than other puppies. So you are in the same boat the rest of us were in when we got a GSD puppy thinking 'Why the heck can't I get the biting to stop? I never had this with my other dogs...'. It's why we have an entire permanent sticky to help new owners with the situation.

The other thing I've found is that the level of exercise needed to calm a GSD puppy may be WAY more than for other puppies. So when I raised my practically perfect yellow Lab puppy, I found doing the same exercise that worked for her the first year was in NO WAY enough for my GSD puppy. I had to go to classes and make SCHEDULED arrangements weekly to socialize outside of the house. Plus I hike off leash with my GSD puppies for MILES every week. A leashed walk around the block even 3 times a day in no way would give me a calm and quiet puppy when I returned home.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts