German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow our female GSD is now 14 months old and lately she has been testing everything. Testing her position in our dog pack (we have 3 older little dogs). Testing my sons authority ie not responding immediately when he tells her to do something. She actually reminds me of a rebellious teenager (she's being a butt head)
We've stepped up the discipline and are much more consistent than ever, it's working but it's hard work!
When she annoys the little dogs (one in particular) and he growls at her, we were telling him off in front of her, she would get reprimanded to, but it's like that was just egging her on. Almost like, ha ha ha your in trouble, now I'm going to have a go at you as well. We have now stopped telling the little one off, we stand between Shadow and the little one and she is put into a sit or a down and a stay. It seams to give everyone enough time to pull themselves together and calm back down.

Is this all just a normal age phase that we have to work threw?

·
Registered
940 Posts
From what I've read on the forums here there is a "butt head" stage they go through at about that age when they hit the teenage years (for dogs). I haven't personally experienced it (yet) so I don't know how to deal with it but I'm sure some of the other members will know. But, from what I've read it seems fairly normal. They're just testing authority - just like a human teenager *sigh*

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would look into a book called "Puppies for Dummies." I know the title sounds uninviting, but its been quite helpful. I am currently struggling with a high drive "destructive, domineering, and often bored" puppy, so I can relate.

The book discusses the stages you will encounter and majority of them, your puppy will be testing you and your boundaries until she is a bit over a year. It helps me feel sane. One day my puppy will perform all of her obedience tricks and on another day, its as if I am not even in the room. Everyone so far has been saying its because she is a puppy, she will grow out of it, just hang on. Lets hope for the best. *fingers crossed*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts