German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working so Bear has had more crate time than usual...I feel bad so I've also started taking him around in the car with me when I run errands. I take 2 sets of car keys and leave the a/c running and lock the doors when I walk into a store (5-10 minutes max).

When I came out of Safeway today the guy parked next to me said I shouldn't abuse my dog by leaving him in the car...I told him the a/c was on but he kind of brushed that off and kept shaking his head.

Does anyone else do this? Obviously I don't want to be abusive...I just wanted him to be able to join me out and about. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I take Nala with me when I have to run short errands. She is in her seatbelt harness and the AC running in my truck. She loves coming in my truck with me.. I sure she enjoys it more than staying home by herself.. My truck is locked too..Most of the time she just naps and enjoys the AC which is cooler than I keep the AC in my house

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Abusive? Absurd. As long as the car is a comfortable climate, I think it is great to take doggers with you. :) My only concern in this crazy heat is that the car died, or something went weird and the dog was stuck in a hot car. That's the only reason I am not taking Bails with me to run little errands. When it is cooler, a dog always goes with me to run errands. :)

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Abusive? Absurd. As long as the car is a comfortable climate, I think it is great to take doggers with you. :) My only concern in this crazy heat is that the car died, or something went weird and the dog was stuck in a hot car. That's the only reason I am not taking Bails with me to run little errands. When it is cooler, a dog always goes with me to run errands. :)
That would be my only concern as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with GatorDog and chelle. I don't think it is abusive at all, but it is not something I would do personally. I would worry about something going wrong and the dog getting stuck without a/c.

·
Registered
12 Posts
as stated if the car has been on and the temp has come down in the cabin how is this not ok? ive done it many times, i used to dog sit for a friends lab. in the winter the lab would sit in the passenger seat and enjoy the heated leather when the outside temp was in the teens. some people look for things to b**** about. i would not think twice about it.

side question. you car locks while the keys are in the ignition and the car is on? tried that in my car and it will not lock! maybe i need a better class of car!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I don't see anything abusive about it. It's a lot safer than those who leave their dog in the car with no ac,and maybe just a crack to barely get air out of.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
as stated if the car has been on and the temp has come down in the cabin how is this not ok? ive done it many times, i used to dog sit for a friends lab. in the winter the lab would sit in the passenger seat and enjoy the heated leather when the outside temp was in the teens. some people look for things to b**** about. i would not think twice about it.

side question. you car locks while the keys are in the ignition and the car is on? tried that in my car and it will not lock! maybe i need a better class of car!
if your user name reflects the type of vehicle you drive, there is no better class vehicle.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Your dog will be fine but probably not great for your car if it is really hot weather.....can't you cook your engine doing that???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your dog will be fine but probably not great for your car if it is really hot weather.....can't you cook your engine doing that???
running errands implies short stops but even so i would not do it all the time based on it uses a tonne of extra petrol! as far as lasting damage im sure if someone told their mechanic he would tell you your catalytic converter is shot or your ac system is cooked or your engine is running rough and needs a full tune up. fyi none of these have ever been proven.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Most passenger vehicles do not have a heavy duty alternator and are not really designed for this. The police often have pager systems and other things just in case and I know the local ones still have problems with vehicles overheating. I would not be comfortable doing it.

FWIW, you can usually lock a car that won't lock with the key in the ignition manually by using the second key, not the fob. [I have done it when we stopped at restaurants and I had an SUV and I was always a basket case, running out every 10 minutes to check on things] Other thing is the dog can hit something in the car (power windows, gear shift etc) and cause problems if it is not restrained in a crate.

·
Registered
443 Posts
When the AC in my car worked, I used to leave Kaylee in the car on short errands or if I had to stop for the bathroom on a road trip. My car locks while running, and she never moves from the back seat, so I wasn't really worried. I wouldn't do it with Sam because he jumps around too much and would probably hit something.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do it sometimes with all my dogs...not when its really hot and the sun is beating down.....but if i need to run and grab something at the store, i'll bring one with and keep the air running full blast..doors locked.
but if i know its going to take more then 5mins..i leave them at home
i also have remote start..so i dont have to leave the keys in the ignition.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have a remote start and for the most part I do not take the dogs in the truck when I am running errands in the summer. If I have to make a quick stop and I do have the dog/dogs in the truck I definately will leave it locked & running with the a/c on.
When I took Kiya to my moms in PA in may I was really suprised in the rest stops there were signs "NO IDLING" well too bad I had no choice but to leave her in the truck with the a/c on it was too hot.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
When you're in the car with it running, lock all the doors. When you're stopped and you want to leave it running just use your hand to manually unlock and open your driver door and manually put it back in lock position when you shut the door. Since you did it manually, all the other doors are still in the lock position from when you locked them earlier. If you try and use the buttons on the remote it won't allow you to do it so you have to do it manually.

·
Premium Member
11,133 Posts
People are idiots sometimes! After training one day, I stopped to grab something at a grocery store....all windows down, hatch back window open, fans on crates, water in buckets in crates...not really that hot....low 80s....mine probably more comfortable than if they were in outdoor kennels!!!

Returning to the car in less than 15 minutes, I found some woman peering into the crate and my dogs all barking at her intrusion....she ranted at me how I was endangering them, and how unhappy they were - they were barking! Sheesh - of course they were, she was invading their space !!!! She had put a flyer on the car that they were in danger of dying because they were left in the vehicle...and could not see that open windows, battery fans and water made any difference......

Does not matter how safe it is - passerbyes can be idiots and cause you trouble by calling police if they see a dog in a car....

Lee

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If I see dogs in vehicles when it is hot, seldom if ever is there a fan or water to cool them. I will call the authorities if I think the dog is in danger....no hesitation. But I won't do it unless I do think there is that danger.
I see it in WM all the time, people are idiots on each side of the issue.
I seldom, if ever will stop and run errands when my dog is with me...even though I do run crate afan, water is available.
He isn't one to bark, so no one would even know he's in my van. I just don't feel comfortable leaving him unattended.

One other thing, if the dog is loose in a running vehicle, what if he hit the window mechanism....opened it and jumped out? That would scare me big time...or hit the window button and closes it back on himself.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I do that alot with Jager. We have diesel so it’s much more convenient to leave it running anyways. I've never had issues with him or any other dog in that truck but it is also a very common thing to see where I live. Most people take their dogs everywhere so it is fairly normal to see a vehicle running with just a dog inside....generally sitting happily behind the steering wheel :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts