German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the nilf,i have made him walk w/us instead of in front. I have actually been walking him 2-3x a day(just getting him out as much as possible)I have been keeping him off the bed. He has been getting tons of rewards,along w/firm training sessions(about 15minutes a day). I have seen a huge difference in just a few days. We were walking this morning and nothing(i mean nothing)bothered this dog. We walked by a guy walking and smokey didnt even look twice at him. We walked by a fence w/ppl all in and smokey just looked wagged his tail and that was it. I did however tell a lady that she couldnt pet him. I really hope this is the way to go. The results have been almost instant.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good for both of you. He sounds like he's getting it. They're very smart dogs.

Keep up the good work.

Jackie

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
YES, it's normal because you have been sending clear signals to him that he needs to follow your lead. Good stuff. Dogs live in the moment for the most part, which is good and bad. You have given him an outlet for his energy (walks) while enforcing your rank in the process (making him walk beside you) along with managing him properly in the home.

Do not feel bad about saying no. He's your dog, and until you can recognize where he is mentally with strangers as well as confirm that in his eyes you rank higher than he does in all situations why set him up to fail? Once you see consistent behavior that you want then you amp up the socialization and get him out around as many people as possible provided he does not show signs of stress.

Good for you, first for asking for help and most importantly for doing something about it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Great- I love hearing about what works, and what you're doing is clearly working!'
Let me ask you- does your dog seem more relaxed and happy? I know that when I provide consistant leadership to my horses they are happier and more secure. They really don't WANT to have to be in charge, and I wondered if it was the same with dogs.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: LucinaGreat- Let me ask you- does your dog seem more relaxed and happy? I know that when I provide consistant leadership to my horses they are happier and more secure. They really don't WANT to have to be in charge, and I wondered if it was the same with dogs.
Yes Yes YES!!! With leadership comes all the responsibility and a whole boatload of stress. Who is accepted into the pack, who should be driven off? What is a real threat, and what is not? What behavior should be accepted in the pack? Who gets what prized posessions, who gets the most comfortable spots? Who is responsible for feeding the pack? Who reproduces to ensure the survival of the species?

Now, I admit many of the things listed above domesticated dogs do not need to worry about, but that does not mean they do not have the genetic impulse deep in their brain. This is why two males fight more if there is a female around, and heaven forbid she's in season. A dog that understands where his rank is and that's provided with strong fair leadership has very little stress.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Great job, I have a forever GSD, but also take in rescue dogs. The last was labelled as very aggressive. In a week this dog has made so much progess.

So could you have a significant change in a few days; yes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have noticed as dogs walk on the road by the house, Bear is getting more riled up. He barks and barks until I stop him. Outside in the yard, he does the same thing. I take him to my son's ball games, and often there are dogs there, but he acts a little differently. He goes into a very loud whine/howl that eventually becomes barking if I let it. He has been allowed to visit with one of these dogs (A little Bischon Frise) but in typical small dog fashion she lashed out. Bear did not retaliate, then, but I'm worried about if he would. The way he acts at the park is more of a "Dad, let me plaaaaaay" sound, but how can you know, and the other peoples dogs are NOT acting that way, so mine looks the lunatic. He is a well behaved dog other wise, but I have to wonder what would happen if he did get near the other dogs. Today a young couple brought their seven month old GSD out, and the guy approached and asked about Bear (He's a long coat, so people are ALWAYS asking if he's a GSD) but his wife kept their dog about twenty feet away. I could barely even talk to the guy Bear was so loud. I wanted to ask if we could introduce them, but with him acting insane how could I? I know what you are all going to say "Get him in obedience" well, I will, but we have nothing around me that I like (The trainers are all "Treat, treat, treat" and the classes I've attended I've seen limited results) and I've got to figure out the scheduling. Still, I work with him at home a LOT, but there are a few things I can't seem to get him through. This is ine. The other is recall. He doesn't even come in the house when I call sometimes. Not if I;m where he can see me. In another room? Oh yes, he'll come, but when he sees me he's all "What? You're right there. I ain't getting up for that." And outside, forget about it. He's a rescue, and I love him, and I LOVE that we skipped "puppy" but I wonder if I'll ever get him to listen and get over those two behaviors. That GSD at the park today? Off lead at seven months, playing a huge game of fetch, didn't even acknowledge Bear's antics, stayed right by his mom. It was depressing. I have friends with dogs I can socialize him with, but without CLASSES where he can be around dogs, where do you socialize. And is it too late for Bear at six? (Ok, I know its not, but I feel like it after today)

And PLEASE. Understand. Bear is an awesome dog. We take him places. He's one of us. I just want him to stop acting like this around other dogs. I want him to be able to have fun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And as a P.S. I spoke with Nila, who rescued him, and he has never shown any real dog aggresion. Lived with ten dogs at her place after being rescued, and three while in foster, and got along great. Its got to be me. He's only got a cat here, and another dog is NOT an option right now. He and the cat currently have a truce, but its always touch and go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
DrDoom, I also have a 6 year old rescue. I've had her two months now, and she's improved greatly over time.

However, over the same time period, she has also become more on-leash dog aggressive. I say "on-leash" because off-leash she's awesome. I'm not sure what is causing it to become progressively worse.

If she can meet a dog, then she stops caring about that dog. If she meets the dog 3 or more times, then she permanently stops caring about that dog. I'm not sure what that means!

When she's off-leash, and I start playing with her, then she stops caring about dogs altogether during active play (even if the dog gets in her face). If we stop playing, she'll start greeting other dogs if they are within 10' of her or so.

I also feel quite embarrassed when she starts barking at other dogs while we're out. I usually just tell the other owner that she's not aggressive and just wants to meet other dogs. I think most owners understand that in dogs and are relatively OK with it. If I'm going to be in a space for awhile - like a park, store, home, etc - then I'll request that our dogs meet. Instantly when she gets within 3' of a dog she becomes docile and submissive to the other dog. When we meet small dogs, however, I will have her sit and the other dog come to smell her first because the owner of the small dog is usually too nervous!

I'm not sure how to handle the barking at the moment. I keep trying different methods, but she seems to keep overcoming a method and then get worse! I'm in obedience classes now, so we'll see if my teacher may have better suggestions.

I've found that NILF has been extremely helpful in all other aspects of our life. Right now she's a wonderfully obedient dog and a pleasure to live with - just.... the barking at other dogs thing!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts