German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every GSD that comes through the shelter (and my own) are GREAT at eating off of a fork. When I do meds at night I usually feed the dogs wet food off of a fork with their pill in it and the White GSD and B/T GSD are the only ones of the 80+ of them that can eat the food correctly off a fork. The rest try licking it or turn their heads to eat it off without touching the fork.

Frag has also always been able to well. They just open their mouths like a human and put the fork in their mouth, then easily scrape the food off to eat. Is it just me or is it only Shepherds that will do this? Do yours show a knack at eating off of forks? (NOT spoons. Frag sucks at that. XD)

Do your other breeds suck as much as the rest of the dogs I've met that weren't GSDs, especially compared?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
never tried a fork for my dogs...they will lick yogurt off a spoon gently.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
No. It's not only Shepherds. My collie did it and both our boxers do too.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh was very aggressive about taking treats out of my hand so I used a fork and a spoon and he took treats off of them very gently- now he doesn't maul my hand

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Our GSD's are awesome at eating off forks but thus far I've been determined not to "ruin" Dante to people food off the plate so I haven't tried with him yet.

Check back in a few months.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
LOL Now I have to admit I've let Zoe eat off my fork...thanks so much;) Yes, she does eat ever so nicely off a fork unlike my lab who tries to maul the fork like a retard. She opens up like a human and gently bites it off:)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I've only met one dog so far who couldn't eat food off a fork, so I don't think it's a German Shepherd thing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is somewhat off topic, but Zoe can eat ice cream like a lady. She takes little licks from the cone. Our doxies try to bite at it lol.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta's good with either a fork or a spoon. She's had plenty of practice taking pills that way.

My Sheltie, Duchess, may she rest in peace, never needed medication of any kind so I never tried with her.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
This is somewhat off topic, but Zoe can eat ice cream like a lady. She takes little licks from the cone. Our doxies try to bite at it lol.
That's a lot better than what Ronja does - she just takes a big bite and swallows it. And yes, dogs apparently do get brain freeze. :D

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Spoons are easy, butter knives a little harder. Will have to try a fork...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kai (the gsd of the group), Zack and Zeus (standard poodles) all eat like the gentlemen they are - off of forks or spoons - however, the little hooligans (Betsy [cavalier], Trixie [iggy] & Yogi [chihuahua mixed with??]) - eat like marauding huns - the food goes FLYING!!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I can honestly say that I've never attempted to feed any of my dogs with a fork.....think I'll save that neat little trick for when the in-laws come over for a visit. They think I'm nuts anyways....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts