German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the last year I have lost all 3 of my dogs. My first loss was my girl of 8 yrs, she died from Perianal Fistulas, we watched her suffer for a year and spent $1,200/month on medicine to help but it didn't work. I did not think that I could ever love another like I loved her. But four months went by and we got a 10 wk old puppy from a breeder that sold him to us knowing that he had a neurological problem, and after only 10 weeks he had to be put down he was unable to walk at all and the neurologist said that said there was no hope for him. Then on Fathers day weekend we brought another girl, never imagining that anything could happen after the first two strange circumstances, with in the 1st day she woke up with terrible diarrhea, I immediately took her to the vet and he ran tests, she tested positive for a parasite "Coccidia" she developed an " "intussusception" from the vomiting and needed surgery. It was a success, I was at the vet with her all day every day but by Friday she was passing alot of blood so the vet operated on her again, the first surgery was already healing but she developed a second intussusception and did not survive that surgery, it was just to much for her little body to take. She was only 8 weeks old. And only in my home with me for 1 evening. We put a deposit on her at 4wks old so I spent 21 days falling in love with her before I ever picked her up. This has been the most horrible thing I have been through.
After the second loss I thought that perhaps the breed was not for me but could not settle for less since I was so in love with them. But the third loss is making me sick. I spend all day on the computer looking for puppies that are for sale. Since January of 2013 we have spent over $8,900 which includes the purchase price of the dogs and for medical care trying to do all that was possible to save them. Thank God my vet put me on a payment plan. I just want another one so bad. I am a homemaker and do not work nor were we blessed with children. My life was my dogs and now I am hurting so bad for another. They are so much money though and I fear I will never be able to save the money. I am making my husband crazy with all the crying and I don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any outsiders opinions or suggestions on what they think.
This site was a god sent just knowing that there are so many people out there who love German Shepherds is comforting.

thegsdis4me is online now Report Post

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sorry to hear your story. What about rescue? Maybe there's a dog waiting for you to find him/her.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
So sorry reading your story is heart wrenching. Please don't give up. Look into a rescue. There are so many out there that need a wonderful loving home like yours. :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked into a rescue dog but puppies/young dogs are very hard to find. I have 4 small nephews and I am worried that an older dog that has not been around these very busy children not being able to bond. I want a puppy so it will grow with the the children. The youngest is 3yrs.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't give up on the rescues just yet. Check petfinder.com I am sure you can find a young dog who likes kids if you look long enough. You may not find a purebred, but you may be able to find a GSD mix.

Although my string of bad luck hasn't been quite as severe as yours, I can feel your pain. I am sorry for what you have been through. It might be a good idea to let some time pass and work on paying off debts before getting another dog, but I completely understand your wanting another one now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
oh gosh that's horrible i am so sorry to hear that just keep looking for a happy healthy looking pup don't just look for the cutest puppy find one that looks happy and healthy that's what i do. when you find one you like talk to the breeder about the puppy write down notes on what that puppy likes to eat and play! You will find one just keep looking and never give up :]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Another suggestion to look into rescue. If you're set on GSD, there are spefically GSD rescues out there. Either way, though, a rescue dog can end up rescuing you, too. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
so very very sorry for your losses:(

What about the breeders of these puppies? Have they not offered you another / did you get any type of health contracts with them??

While I would be as devastated as you, it wouldn't stop me from searching for another,..there ARE good healthy dogs/puppies out there..

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. You can find stable, healthy puppies.

You could also go the rescue route as many are suggesting. Contact BDBH in Rochester. While they might not have puppies, they do often have young adults who will bond with you and your children just as well as a puppy will.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you're blessed with being able to get another dog of your choice.
go luck with the new pup/dog. do worry about affording to buy
another pup. my GF an i put $20.00 to $50.00 or more in a coffee
can untill we could buy a pup. we could afford to keep the pup
but we didn't have the seed money.

Within the last year I have lost all 3 of my dogs. My first loss was my girl of 8 yrs, she died from Perianal Fistulas, we watched her suffer for a year and spent $1,200/month on medicine to help but it didn't work. I did not think that I could ever love another like I loved her. But four months went by and we got a 10 wk old puppy from a breeder that sold him to us knowing that he had a neurological problem, and after only 10 weeks he had to be put down he was unable to walk at all and the neurologist said that said there was no hope for him. Then on Fathers day weekend we brought another girl, never imagining that anything could happen after the first two strange circumstances, with in the 1st day she woke up with terrible diarrhea, I immediately took her to the vet and he ran tests, she tested positive for a parasite "Coccidia" she developed an " "intussusception" from the vomiting and needed surgery. It was a success, I was at the vet with her all day every day but by Friday she was passing alot of blood so the vet operated on her again, the first surgery was already healing but she developed a second intussusception and did not survive that surgery, it was just to much for her little body to take. She was only 8 weeks old. And only in my home with me for 1 evening. We put a deposit on her at 4wks old so I spent 21 days falling in love with her before I ever picked her up. This has been the most horrible thing I have been through.
After the second loss I thought that perhaps the breed was not for me but could not settle for less since I was so in love with them. But the third loss is making me sick. I spend all day on the computer looking for puppies that are for sale. Since January of 2013 we have spent over $8,900 which includes the purchase price of the dogs and for medical care trying to do all that was possible to save them. Thank God my vet put me on a payment plan. I just want another one so bad.

>>>>>> I am a homemaker and do not work nor were we blessed with children. My life was my dogs and now I am hurting so bad
for another. <<<<<

They are so much money though and I fear I will never be able to save the money. I am making my husband crazy with all the crying and I don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any outsiders opinions or suggestions on what they think.
This site was a god sent just knowing that there are so many people out there who love German Shepherds is comforting.

thegsdis4me is online now Report Post

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
It's a myth that rescues won't "bond" -- they do. I just placed an 18 mo. old foster dog in a house full of kids, and the dog is ecstatic. He follows the kids around, plays gently with them, looks for them when they are out of sight...he adores them. Rescues bond incredibly deeply. We knew this dog loved kids, so he was a terrific match for this family. His temperament was golden. And his family paid all of $80 for him, since I was fostering for the public shelter.

I'm sorry that you've gone through all this. There's a dog out there for you. I've had a few come through foster that I know were on a mission in this world to find the special people they ended up with because they had a special gift to give those particular people...when they found each other, they knew.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I am so very sorry!

I think a rescue would be wonderful to look into! You could heal one another. :) Please keep us posted on your situation. I feel like you are meant to have a dog in your life, I hope you won't give up!

((hugs))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts