German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That hard curve at the end of the snout. Is it normal? 4 weeks old. Here are pictures of the parents as well.

Father

Mother

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm really not qualified to answer, but something does appear to be 'off' with his nose. I do believe that hard curve is indeed abnormal..but..hopefully one of the awesome breeders here will answer your question. Maybe you can PM Wolfstraum, Liesje, or Chris Wild-just a few folks who could answer your question with more authority..good luck..

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's lots of us on the forum with really nice dogs but
we don't know conformation. i don't know much about
conformation but i think his nose is ok. how old is his mother?

I'm surprised 60 people have looked at this, yet no one knows.

·
Registered
424 Posts
is that the only pup with a nose that appears that way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really not qualified to answer, but something does appear to be 'off' with his nose. I do believe that hard curve is indeed abnormal..but..hopefully one of the awesome breeders here will answer your question. Maybe you can PM Wolfstraum, Liesje, or Chris Wild-just a few folks who could answer your question with more authority..good luck..
Thank you for these names!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure on the age of the mother, but will find out. I also can't see the other puppies. I am deployed right now but will be back in time for the 8 week pick up mark. I'll ask the breeder, but they aren't the quickest to respond.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Your pup has ALOT of growing and changing to do. You will be surprised on how much different it looks in a few weeks from now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your pup has ALOT of growing and changing to do. You will be surprised on how much different it looks in a few weeks from now.
That's reassuring loneforce, is it safe to say this is not an abnormally developed snout?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
It looks normal to me. I am no expert by no means. Does your breeder send you weekly pup pic's? If you are concerned keep an eye on it. Like I said though, there is a lot of changing that is about to happen.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
I am no expert on show line pups LOL LOL or pups this young! It does look a little bumpy there on top, but I don't really think that it is anything to worry about.....did you ask the breeder?

Lee

·
Registered
41 Posts
Personaly I would get it checked before handing over any money , as it could cause problems in the future. Pups change so much that it may get drastically worse or completely better, so I wouldn't commit until I was sure which it was going to be .

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I've seen that a few times before--usually on big-boned pups who have a lot of growing to do. I think it might just be extra skin/flesh.

It should "absorb" as the puppy's bone structure grows a bit more in the next couple of weeks and not be noticeable in 3 weeks.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Not "normal", though it may be for this breeder's lines, but not anything bizarre or unheard of either. I wouldn't worry about it, especially at this young age.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
roman nose --

dog in background .

Standard says - nose should be straight , neither dish faced nor roman nose. And yet others say it is normal/desirable "Take note of the heads of the many of the modern European and import shepherds. Their skulls are bulbous and unrefined grading into truncated shorter muzzles, whereas our Heidelberg's have the classic Roman nose. Due to the shorter snout, the jaw of many imports was forced to be wider because teeth have not changed in size or number (It is very difficult genetically to change teeth) the jaws and head of imports have become wider to accommodate all the teeth" Huh?

A roman nose has a bulge , a dish face is with nose upturned at end of a depression or concave muzzle.

the goo on the dogs nose might be dried cereal - kibble -- l

1 - 20 of 28 Posts