German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My friend is getting a sable puppy. Don't have his photos for now. But he is 8 month old and has the same color as the puppy on these photos:

http://weloveourpuppy.blogspot.com/2008/08/pick-up.html

My question is, is his color too yellow for a sable? What his color would like when he's fully grown? Much darker or something? His father is a red and black sable, mom is a tan sable.

Thanks!

---------------

Sorry for bothering! I've got the answer.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,651 Posts

·
2,967 Posts
Sable puppies are usually at their lightest right before their adult coat comes in...around 8-12 weeks. If your friends dog is 8 months old, the adult coat should already be in. While there are still color changes in the coat until about 2 years of age, it's usually not as significant. So, if your friends dog is 8 months old and still that light, it may not have much black pigment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it. Didn't know 8-12 weeks is their lightest age. Good to know that!
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JKlatskySable puppies are usually at their lightest right before their adult coat comes in...around 8-12 weeks. If your friends dog is 8 months old, the adult coat should already be in. While there are still color changes in the coat until about 2 years of age, it's usually not as significant. So, if your friends dog is 8 months old and still that light, it may not have much black pigment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts