German Shepherds Forum banner

Is high protein & grain free really the way to go?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  marbury 
Grain-free and/or high protein are ways to go (I say and/or because there are grain inclusive foods that are quite high in protein, and there are some grain-free foods that are quite low in protein), though I don't think they are 'the' way to go. Some dogs, especially puppies, don't do well on a high protein food (some don't do well on grain-free for that matter). My girl has been on a high protein, grain-free food most of her life and has done great, but there are others though that, for whatever reason, haven't had the same experience.

I am, personally, not a fan of Blue Buffalo. Their foods, by ingredients alone, seem to be quite good, but I don't care for, or trust, the company. If your dog does well on it though then it is a good food for you and your pup.

The calcium and phosphorus levels of the Blue Wilderness Puppy formula are on my spreadsheet ... It's in a sticky post here. Can't remember off the top of my head what they are, but I believe they are reasonably low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.