German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i brought home a srtay kitten about 2 weeks ago and he is fitting in great with Ares. He was really sick when I found him, he was obviously way to young to be away from his mother. He's doing great now and is a huge tease to our GSD, the dog is asleep and the cat pounces his tail etc.
The only thing that is really worrying me is when they are together Ares thinks it's ok to put the cat in his mouth. He does not growl or show obvious signs of aggression but constanly gets the cat in his mouth. The weirdest part is he almost seems to be doing it gently, like all we ever end up with is a soaked kitten. Except for the fact that the kitten has to spend the rest of the day washing itself he doesn't seem to mind the mouthing. the rest of the time the just sleep with each other.

I just want to know if this is normal behavior? Is he trying to hurt or eat the cat, does he think its a toy? I just don't want anyone to get hurt. :help:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
No idea what Ares is trying to do, but if it were me, I wouldn't allow my dog to put the kitten in her mouth. The potential for something really tragic to happen, even accidentally, is too great.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
dogs will put cats in their mouth. if the cat didn't like
the cat would let the dog know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do stop him when we see it happening, but usually we correct a behavior a few times then he learns not to do it. This time he just won't stop.
And the cat just sits there and lets him do it and he doesn't pick the cat up or anything, just kind of covers the cat with his mouth.
I don't know, I'm just confused

·
5,627 Posts
Shepherds communicate and play with their mouth which is why he is always putting the cat in his mouth. I agree with others that I wouldn't allow it because even if it is just play, there is the potential for a life threatening accident for the cat.

I wish I could help you train him not to put his mouth on the cat but I haven't figured it out yet with my own dog.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My GSD puts our Mini Doxie's head in his mouth, and hold on for a minute or two. In the beginning I attempted to stop this behavior. But she really doesn't mind, and normally she likes it because she licks the inside of his mouth :sick:. I just end up with a soggy weinie dog.

When the Doxie doesn't want to play she'll nip him in the mouth or grab a hold of his hair (He is a long haired GSD) along his mane and hang on for a second or two. At which point Hondo will walk away. No playing today.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have an 18 year old male cat named Spitz. He has had his head chewed by more puppies than he probably cares to. We got him the summer after we got our first GSD, they grew up together and sometimes I think he thinks hes a dog. He tolerates dogs chewing his head very well and when he is not in the mood he definately makes it clear. My other cat, a 11 yr old female, doesn't play and doesn't tolerate the head chewing at all. Only you can determine if both dog and cat are playing. I would watch them very close and I probably wouldn't leave them together unsupervised.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My boy does this to our cat (the cat hates it!). Remy(the 9month old puppy) will grab the cat with his front paws, reel him in towards his chest, and lay on top of the cat, and the proceed to mouth him. The cat starts screaming progressively louder...I break it up as fast as physically possible.

I think Remy knows that the cat is part of our pack, because he doesn't chase him all of the time, just when he is feeling playful.

Remy will also walk up to the cat, smell him, and then wait for the cat to bat him in the muzzle (no front claws), it's pretty funny to watch. Other times, the cat will chase the dog and the dog tucks his tail and runs...ha.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dont think he is trying to eat the kitten.

My GSD absolutely adores my kitten, they are the best of friends, they sleep by each other, wrestle with each other, clean each other and drink water together (sometimes the kitten steals a piece of kibble or 2 as well :rolleyes:) he always put his mouth around her but he has never attempted to bite down or hurt her.

She bites his neck but he is so furry he doesn't even feel it, they are just playing.

Here is a picture of Monster and Sinister playing

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, its good to know he is just playing. I was worried I would have to fond a new home for the kitty.
And that is a great picture!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
lmao sorry can't help but laugh while yes there is a risk that someone might accidentally get hurt and yes sometimes it's because the dog wants to eat the cat (you'd know for sure on that one) I really just think it's some wierd thing dogs do. We used to have a great dane that did it ALL the time to our little daschund mix. Poor little thing would be sleeping and he would just walk over put her head in his mouth and then walk away like "yep you still fit" maybe it's their way of keeping the smaller critters in line like "I COULD kill you if I wanted to so watch your back"??? Our dane used to go chug down the entire water bowl then do it that used to tick her off BIG time she did not like being used as a towel. Ahh the memories lmao...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Riley tries to get Ted's head in her mouth pretty much every chance she gets. Ted hasn't used his weapons/claws to stop her.. in fact he keeps going back for more. Early on I worried and even broke up the action but now I just keep an eye on them while they "play".

this evening Riley gave Ted a bath.. so I guess she's not trying to eat him.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lmao sorry can't help but laugh while yes there is a risk that someone might accidentally get hurt and yes sometimes it's because the dog wants to eat the cat (you'd know for sure on that one) I really just think it's some wierd thing dogs do. We used to have a great dane that did it ALL the time to our little daschund mix. Poor little thing would be sleeping and he would just walk over put her head in his mouth and then walk away like "yep you still fit" maybe it's their way of keeping the smaller critters in line like "I COULD kill you if I wanted to so watch your back"??? Our dane used to go chug down the entire water bowl then do it that used to tick her off BIG time she did not like being used as a towel. Ahh the memories lmao...

That is probably thefunniest thing I've ever read on this forum :p

and I'm glad this isn't just Ares

1 - 13 of 13 Posts