German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln bit another puppy at his puppy class today....

Today is our 5th class into the course. He met this Cavalier since day 1. He always sniff at her back then. But today, with the other puppy gone, he keeps jumping and try to get close to her the whole time we were in the class. At one point, on leash, we let them sniff at each other and all in sudden he bit her in the face. My husband pull him back but his teeth did get on her face and she made the noise. Seems like no one else actually seen that though. When we were driving home, both husband and I ask each other if he was playing and neither of us can really tell. We usually guess by how his tail and posture is but we didn't see his tail this time.

Here is my other observation:

He has been barking more. When he was 8-10 weeks old he would only bark at the shovel. His tail would be wagging. He also barks when he wants something so much like when he saw me open his favorite can food. But lately, he barks at my neighbor (but he happened to have shovel in his hand), barks at people opening their front gate from the truck, and bark at that cavalier couple of time during class today.

He doesn't get scared anymore. He used to be scared of vacuum machine, now he is brave enough to stand right by it when I vacuum. He used to be scared of my chinchilla, now he jump up and down all over Gizmo's cage try to get to him. He used to be scared of a French Shepherd (one of his classmate), last class he was all over that puppy's face. I tried to pull him back but the owner of that puppy told me they were just playing so I let them. She has a GSD before so I thought she probably knows what shes doing. Not too long that owner had to break them up, so I take that as a sign that Lincoln has cross the line.

He is still biting us. We teach him bite inhibtion (trying anyway). He has a much softer mouth now with us. But he still continues to bite. He hasn't done it to stranger yet. But the more he get to know the person, the more chance he's going to nip them.

I thought getting brave is part of growing up. I thought he bites because he is teething. He is 15 weeks old and intact. As far as how he behave with us, he would be a perfect puppy if he stops biting. He is smart and very easy to train. Is this normal behavior? Is he aggressive?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's a PUPPY!!! they don't do aggression. He was playing. The thing with GSD pups is they play rough.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew,, well thats a relief. Lately I feel like people are so judgemental against him. Other puppy's owner don't really play with him anymore. They actually keep their pups away from mine. The daycare I spoke with had a questionable reaction when I told them my puppy is a german shepherd. The guy in my neighborhood asked me why would I own "that".. My nurse chat with me about my dog and as soon as she heard I have a GSD she said oh I don't like "those"...

Anyway, I don't care what people think. I just want to make sure he is doing what other GSD puppy do.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Don't expect the biting (I call it mouthing) or chewing to be over anytime soon.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
he's a PUPPY!!! they don't do aggression. He was playing. The thing with GSD pups is they play rough.
Absolutely

He's learning boundaries, if he gets too rough then stop play immediately and remove him. He has to learn that playing a little rough is ok, but there are limits. You need to help show him what those limits are, just like his siblings and parents would

In class, if you're uncomfortable stop the play and remove him for a time out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts