German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone my puppy Grizzly I adopted has been great so far he is now 3 months old. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if he is a sable GSD? I'm thinking he mostly is by his coat but he has some huge paws so I'm wondering what he could be mixed with. Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1368931648.269870.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1368931669.050090.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1368931688.867512.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1368931699.219009.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi and welcome! Your pup does look like a pure-bred sable GSD, large paws and all. I'm guessing he may end up being a very dark sable, but can't say for sure as sables go through so many colour changes as they mature.

In the last pic you posted, I'm not sure if it is just the angle of the picture, but your pup looks like he may be down in the pasterns? Can you post a picture of him standing, taken from the side? If he has downed pasterns, that could account for the appearance of oversized paws - it is a genetic issue, but can often be improved and reversed with good diet and exercise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all!

And yes Castlemaid, my puppy did have very weak pasterns when I first got him. They have improved dramatically over these past few weeks since I've had him through a lot of exercise such as walks and some swimming. However I do have a question if I am feeding him the right food for his down pasterns? So far I have been feeding him Pedigree Puppy Complete Nutrition, where it says it has a crude protein percentage of 27%. That was recommended by the vet because it was a good price for my budget. Is there something else that is better around that price range? I will post pics of him standing this afternoon.

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
There are lots of good foods for puppies. Most folks would not consider the pedigree to be good at all. When you are looking also consider the fact that cheap foods are typically low calorie, low digestibility so you have to feed a lot more. A 40 lb bag of a cheap food may have no more calories in it than a 26 lb bag of a premium food.

I liked the Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold........we had to order it online but the prices are competetive and many places like chewy.com, doggiefood.com etc have excellent service and free shipping. It is not as expsensive as some of the other premium foods such as Origen, but good quality, corn and wheat free, well formulated in regards to calcium etc. There are others folks can recommend. I can recommend that because it is what I raised my current puppy on and was very happy.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Definitely a sable. Black & Tan GSDs are almost completely black at this age, except for tan paws and face markings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sable for sure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yup,
Seen a lot of litters lately, looks like a Sable for sure.... Not a very dark one, but hard to tell right now, could darken up..

The black top bi-colour is black on top with golden sable markings on legs and feet and a few colour marks on head and ears like my little 13 week girl... That is what is call bi-colour ... Black on top...

The Sable is a good mix of colour- color to you Yanks... Heh he... There is a "Red Sable", I have one, 7 year old Bitch Tonka, and this could be one... It is a light sable, more reddish on the brown bits... Yours could be a Red Sable.

Kind regards from Australia, nice looking pup...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts