German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaiser is currently 10 weeks old , he doesn’t look like a normal sable , I’ve heard that he may be a patterned sable? He’s got the black ring around his tail that comes with the sable colour but does not have the black toes and heels. If he is a patterned sable, do they grow up to look like the Black and Tans ? Pictures would be helpful , just curious , excited to see how he turns it 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think he's a bit too young to tell if he's a patterned sable. Maybe some others that know more about the genetics can help you on that. As far as the black toes and heels, I think you are thinking of bi-colors. That isn't a part of the sable coloring like it is for bi-colors. Some sables have it, but a lot don't.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My sable puppy has very tiny penciling on her toes, it will likely go away by the time she is older. As far as patterned sable goes I haven't the slightest idea, hope someone else is of more help.

·
Registered
151 Posts
He is still too young to know how his coat will finally turn out. Look to the parents.

Miika looked very much like he does. She still has lightly pencilled toes and light tar heels which is not uncommon for sables. Google some sable shepherd images. ;^)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
When I first got my Rocky, who is three, I posted a picture saying he was a black and tan. His face looked sable to me, but he had a faint saddle print of his back, so I just thought he was a faded black and tan. Other members posted, though, saying that he was a patterned sable. I had never heard of that. He does have some black on some of his toes. I think Rocky also has a little husky or something in him because of the white stripe on his face and one of his eyes is half blue and half brown.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
He looks a lot like our sable pup did at that age -- he also didn't have the tar heels or the pencil marks on his toes. Sire is a dark sable and dam is a red sable. Attaching an image of Redy as a pup and two images of him now at about 1.5 years old, in case they're helpful :) Kaiser is a handsome pup. It'll be fun to watch how he turns out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
Sable is sable is sable...

Pigment is depth and richness of color

Pattern is another facet and separate.

When you breed a sable of any depth (light, dark, red, "black") to a black and brown (tan or red or cream - they are all genetically brown) who is a saddle or blanket pattern - you will get either a sable or a black and brown....unless of course both carry black recessives :) :)

The pigment of both the brown and the black can vary from the parents.

The pattern is another gene and the pup may be sable in color and inherent the pattern of the black and brown parent. The darker part of the sable hair will lighten to tan, and a saddle (or whatever) pattern will become evident.

So look to the parents and grandparents of your pup to see if they are patterned - otherwise it seems you have a sable puppy.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts