German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have five pets right now, sometimes fosters, and will soon be getting a puppy (6th permanent pet), so free feeding ANYONE is totally out of the question. Cats will eat dog food and vice versa. Everyone eats different amounts, different foods, and eats at their own pace. Also, for health issues I need to know who eats what and when. If a dog is trying to vomit and I have no clue if he's eaten in the past few hours or just scarfed everything in the bowl, I wouldn't know whether to suspect bloat or something else...
I only have two pets, a dog and a cat. I feed the cat on the window seat in the kitchen. My dog is trained not to eat her food. He occasionally eyeballs it, I say "no" and he pretends he wasn't considering it. The reason I do this is that my cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. She will come in, I'll give her a can of wet food, she'll finish half of it, then go out, come back in an hour or two, finish the rest.

With my dog, I am concerned about bloat, so I don't really free feed, except... for his evening meal, if he finishes it all, I'll put some more food in his bowl and he may munch on it throughout the evening. He is a lean puppy so I am not concerned about the calories, I want to make sure he gets enough to eat.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.