German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Are there others out there who free feed? I grew up doing this and continue to do so with Ozzy, our only pet.

I am curious as to the benefits of actually timed meals or drawbacks of free feeding? As it stands, Ozzy eats half his food in the evening and finishes it up at night - he has access to it all day.

Is this bad for metabolism? He is 74 pounds right now and the vet seems to think he is perfect.

Just interested in any observations/knowledge/experience with free feeding vs. timed feeding.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ozzy gets Timber Wolf Elk and Salmon. He never turns his nose up at a hot dog either so training treats have never been a problem.

As far as knowing how much he eats and when, he is like clockwork. I fill the bowl (about 4 cups) in the morning and he has eaten about half of that by the time I go to work. He doesn't touch it again until 9 when he eats the other half.

When we first got him he was about 10 pounds lighter than now and so skinny so I wanted him to eat whenever he wanted. He has never been a chow hound and would never eat until explosion.

However, I read so much about feeding times, etc. on the board, I just want to make sure I am just not being lazy here with the feeding or hurting him in some way with the free feeding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.